Rise and shine for the most irresistibly delicious Best Banana Bread Oatmeal you’ve ever tasted! This gluten free, vegan, nutritious morning meal is sweetened naturally with banana and loaded with banana bread yumminess!
I have two secret tips that make this easy, healthier banana oatmeal recipe the absolutely BEST banana bread oatmeal. Keep reading to find out what gives this oatmeal that classic banana bread flavor we all know and so adore.
There’s nothing difficult or time-consuming about this recipe. It will only take you about 10 minutes from start to finish, with only about 3 minutes hands-on time.
Start off by cooking 1/2 cup of oats (one serving) according to package instructions. I like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats – add the 1/2 cup of oats to 1 cup boiling water, on the stove. Lower burner heat to a low setting and set your timer for 9 minutes. Stir oats every now and then.
Once the timer reads between 4-6 minutes of cooking time left, add 1/2 of a banana that has been mashed with a fork. Stir it into the oats with about 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and a packet of stevia, if you like your oats a little more on the sweet side. Of course you could also sweeten your oats with a little honey, maple syrup or brown sugar. Let oats continue to cook until timer goes off, stirring occasionally.
Okay, now turn off the burner and remove the pot of oats from the heat. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon imitation butter flavored extract. This can be found in the baking aisle near other spices and extracts. It gives the oatmeal such a lovely buttery banana bread taste.
TIPS TO COOKING UP THE BEST BANANA BREAD OATMEAL
- Add 1/2 a banana, mashed, to oats while cooking.
- Add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon imitation butter flavored extract to oats after they have cooked.
I can’t wait for you guys to give this recipe a try! There’s nothing like waking up to healthy whole foods that are satisfying and hearty. I topped my bowl of the best banana bread oatmeal with the other half of the banana that went into the cooking oats, sliced, chopped pecans, shredded unsweetened coconut, crunchy peanut butter and a handful of blueberries for good measure.
If you give this oatmeal recipe a try, be sure to comment and let me know what you think. Also, snap a picture, post it on instagram and tag @kimscravings so I can see your version. Enjoy, friends!
- ½ cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 large banana (1/2 mashed + ½ sliced)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 packet stevia (use whatever preferred sweetener you like)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon imitation butter extract
- Favorite toppings- ½ tablespoon crunchy peanut butter, ¼ cup blueberries, 1 tablespoon chopped pecans and shredded unsweetened coconut
- Bring 1 cup water to boil in a small-medium pot. Once water is boiling; add in oats and turn heat down to simmer.
- Set your timer for 9 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking process (when timer reads 4-6 minutes) add in mashed banana, cinnamon and sweetener of choice.
- Vigorously whip these ingredients into the oats with a fork. As you whip the oats, you'll notice that the oats will get fluffy and the banana will pretty much dissolve into the oats. You don't have to whip for the entire cooking time, just about a minute.
- Once your timer has went off, remove oats from heat and stir in vanilla and butter extract. Transfer oats to cereal bowl and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
Love oatmeal? Try these other favorite oatmeal recipes.
Something to think about….
Have you ever tried mixing in add-ins while your oatmeal is cooking? To change things up, try subbing about 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin for the mashed banana or use a little bit of both.
Share The Best Banana Bread Oatmeal recipe with you friends! Toggle over the image below.