Paleo, Gluten-free Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Apples and caramel are a classic Fall flavor combination and they come together perfectly in these Paleo, Gluten-free Caramel Apple Cupcakes. What I love most about this recipe is how completely clean and healthy it is. Other than the naturally occurring sugars in the dates and apples; these scrumptious apple cupcakes are sugar-free.
I actually had another post planned for today; but after creating these Caramel Apple Cupcakes, yesterday, there was just no way I could not share this recipe. I guarantee these cupcakes would be a huge hit at a Fall party or Halloween or Thanksgiving. They are SUPER moist, flavorful and the “caramel” date icing takes them over-the-top!
Grating and peeling the apple may sound like a pain, but I have this tool for peeling and this one for grating. I had my apple ready to go in less than 3 minutes. The grated apple helps to make the cupcakes, oh so moist. You don’t need any sugar in these babies because the date icing gives these cupcakes the perfect sweetness. Just like biting into a real caramel apple- you can taste the apple in the cupcake and the caramel top is divine!
I added a few sprinkles to make things extra festive, but you could also add a sprinkling of chopped nuts and/or apple slices- yum! Be sure and try the date icing as a dip for fruit and/or crackers- it is so good. It also works great as a spread on toast or pancakes. I’ve even thought about experimenting with baking it in bread recipes. What a great substitute for sugar that would be!
- 1 cup soft Medjool dates pitted and soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup almond milk or other milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon all spice and 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large about 1 cup apple; peeled, cored and grated (I used an organic honey crisp apple)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and prepare a muffin tin with cooking spray or paper muffin cups.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon cupcake batter into 10 muffin cups, evenly. Bake for about 22 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- While cupcakes are baking; make icing by blending drained dates and all other icing ingredients until smooth.
- Once cupcakes have baked, allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes. Spread on date icing and enjoy!
Love apples? Try these other wonderful apple recipes, on the blog!
Healthy Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread (one of my very favorite recipes on the blog!)
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite type of apple? Honey crisp apples are by far my favorite. They are so juicy and sweet! Galas come in second.
Have you ever tried using dates in place of caramel? If not, you will be shocked at how similar they taste. The date icing can also be used as a dip for apples and/or graham crackers.
What’s your favorite Fall flavor?