Light Sausage Spinach Egg Casserole
This Light Sausage Spinach Egg Casserole is the perfect make-ahead breakfast to enjoy Christmas morning. Comforting and flavorful, this dish will fuel all that gift-giving!
Christmas morning brunch is one of my favorite holiday traditions and this year, I’m the hostess with the mostess. It’s a big job, but I’m super excited to have my family over for a festive mouth-watering meal before ripping into the gifts!
This past weekend I went out in search of everything I would need to make this very special meal a success. The fact that it can be made the night before is also a huge plus! Simply start by browning your lean Italian turkey sausage along with the bell pepper, onion and garlic in a large skillet. Once that’s cooked, stir in the thawed and drained spinach.
Next, mix that yummy seasoned sausage with hash browns in a 9×13 glass baking dish.
Last, pour your egg mixture (that you’ll be whisking together while your meat cooks) over the sausage and potatoes in the baking dish. You can either cover with foil and store in the fridge overnight or cover with foil and bake immediately. My family often enjoys this meal with a side salad for brinner (breakfast for dinner). I prepare it on Sunday night and then when I get home from work on Monday, I just pop it in the oven.
Creating a cozy atmosphere during the holidays is a cinch because you’ve probably already decorated a Christmas tree and have other various festive decor around your home. Put on some Christmas music, take a deep breath and make those special memories!
- 12 oz lean Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- ½ medium onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 bag/box 9-10 oz frozen chopped spinach or kale, thawed and drained well
- 4 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (can use frozen or refrigerated or make your own (thaw if using frozen)
- 12 eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk any milk will work
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- If baking immediately, heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with a natural cooking spray.
- In a medium to large skillet, cook sausage over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up, until no longer pink; drain sausage and return to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in spinach or kale and remove from heat.
- While sausage mixture is cooking, in a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, basil, salt and pepper until blended.
- In baking dish, mix cooked sausage mixture and shredded potatoes. Pour eggs over mixture in baking dish. Cover with foil; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight but no longer than 24 hours.
- If you wish to bake right way or whenever you're ready to bake; bake at 350 degrees F., covered for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until center is set. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 12 square pieces and enjoy!
Enjoy these other delicious recipe ideas for holiday brunches!