Mexican Chopped Tuna Salad
Mexican Chopped Tuna Salad- protein-packed tuna joined with chopped romaine, black beans, bell pepper, olives, sweet yellow corn, fresh tomatoes, avocado and a creamy taco-flavored dressing makes for the most incredibly tasty yumilicious tuna salads!
Just in case you haven’t noticed, I’m kind of a fan of salads. Note the hint of sarcasm in voice? Seriously, though, I usually eat some type of salad for lunch or dinner, pretty much everyday. While I enjoy a variety of different types of salads, a jazzed up tuna salad is my very favorite!
Not only are tuna salads delicious and satisfying, but with the right ingredients they can be super healthy. Adding canned tuna to salads and other meals is a great way to increase your intake of lean protein, but that’s not all. The health benefits of tuna fish go way beyond protein.
Canned tuna is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Omega-3s have even been associated with warding off depression and cognitive decline. The evidence of health benefits is so good that the American Heart Association recommends we eat fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like tuna, twice a week.
- For the salad:
- 2 (5 oz.) cans tuna
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can sliced black olives drained
- 1 can sweet yellow corn drained (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce chopped well
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 ripe avocados or 1 large Haas avocado diced
- For the dressing:
- ⅔ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup mayo or use additional Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients together.
- In a small bowl stir all dressing ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad, gradually, as you toss to combine, then gradually add more dressing until salad is coated in dressing. Add salt to taste, as needed.
- Serve in a wrap, over greens or dip style with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of canned tuna, too? Visit the Bumble Bee social media channels for more tuna facts, recipes and other offers:
And for more about the health benefits of tuna, including recipe ideas, stop by the Tuna Strong page.
What’s your favorite tuna salad add-ins?
Other tuna recipes, you’re sure to love!
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Bumble Bee.