Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
This Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich recipe is a summer favorite! Creamy ice cream is sandwiched between soft and chewy M&M cookies for a delicious, fun way to enjoy two favorite desserts in one. Grab your ice cream flavor of choice and whip these up today!
The spirit of summer is strong as ever right now and an ice cream cookie sandwich saves the day. One of these in your hand will keep you smiling, satisfied, and COOL.
Last weekend, Madelyn had a few friends over to celebrate summer break and these ice cream cookie sandwiches were on the dessert menu. I figured the best way to make the ice cream cookie sandwiches would be to place all of the ingredients on a large tray and let them have at it. The tray was filled with cookies, a few varieties of ice cream, different sprinkles, an ice cream scooper and lots of napkins!
This was one of the greatest ideas I’ve had in awhile! I didn’t have to spend time making each individual ice cream sandwich and they really enjoyed making their own treat with their favorite ice cream flavor and different sprinkles.
If you’re looking for a fun dessert to serve for a party, entertaining or just a family night, kids and adults will adore making (and eating) these!
BEST ice cream cookie sandwich
Making an ice cream cookie sandwich is really easy, but there are two VERY important components… the cookies and the ice cream!
You can use any soft cookie you want, but we LOVE my M&M Cookies for these ice cream cookie sandwiches. They’re seriously the best! However, if you’d like to stick with a more traditional cookie ice cream sandwich, use this chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. Whether you decide to make the ice cream sandwiches or not, the cookies really are must try recipes!
the ice cream.
Not only do you want to sandwich your ice cream between two delicious soft and chewy cookies, but you NEED a good quality ice cream for the perfect ice cream cookie sandwich. I’m talking super creamy with a wonderful flavor. If you’re going to take the time to make your own homemade ice cream cookie sandwich, it might as well be amazing, right? Our favorite ice cream brands are Blue Bell, Tillamook and Braum’s, but use any favorite brand and flavor.
Nothing beats cold, creamy ice cream and soft, scrumptious cookies. So, when you combine the two together, you are most certainly in for a treat.
how to make a homemade ice cream cookie sandwich
This recipe starts with baking the M&M Cookies or Chocolate Chip Cookies according to the instructions. I included the M&M Cookie recipe in the recipe card below, but if you want all of the tips and tricks for baking the cookies, visit the full post.
Once the cookies are baked, let them cool completely. It is very important when making these ice cream cookie sandwiches to freeze the cookies after they’ve cooled. You may think it would work just fine to sandwich the ice cream between freshly-baked cookies, but that won’t work very well.
When you freeze the cookies, it will make them sturdier and more stiff, so they won’t become a crumbly mess when you press the cookies around the ice cream.
Take a large scoop of ice cream and sandwich it between two cookies. Feel free to roll the sides in sprinkles, mini M&Ms, mini chocolate chips, or chopped nuts. Place the ice cream sandwiches in the freezer to set and enjoy whenever!
tips for making ice cream cookie sandwiches
This ice cream cookie sandwich recipe really is so easy, but here are some tips, so that your dessert is absolutely perfect!
- Under bake cookies. It’s best to slightly under bake the cookies. You want the M&M cookies to be super soft and easy to bite into, after freezing them.
- Freeze cookies. Don’t forget to freeze the cookies for about thirty minutes before making the ice cream cookie sandwiches. I typically make the cookies the day before we make the ice cream sandwiches.
- Use real ice cream. No-churn homemade ice cream doesn’t work as well in an ice cream sandwich recipe, because it melts faster than regular ice cream.
- Get creative! Feel free to experiment with different ice cream flavors and cookie varieties!
- Rolling sandwiches. If you plan to roll your ice cream cookies in sprinkles or candy, be sure to have lots of fun options available!
storing ice cream cookie sandwiches
After you’ve assembled the ice cream cookie sandwiches, freeze them on a baking sheet or pan until the ice cream is solid. Once solid, transfer the sandwiches to airtight containers or individually wrap each one in plastic wrap or place them in a zip-top freezer baggie. Ice cream sandwiches will keep for up to about 2-3 months in the freezer.
recommended tools for making ice cream sandwiches
There’s nothing too complicated required to make ice cream sandwiches! You will want to have a nice ice cream scoop to give you cookies that are all the exact same size and the perfect amount of ice cream between each sandwich. The one linked is very inexpensive and has over 20,000 5-star reviews.
These are the yummiest M&M cookie ice cream sandwiches! Chewy M&M cookies with fun flavors of ice cream in the middle – yes, please! These messy and delicious treats will be a hit this summer.
More Favorite Summer Treats
- Chocolate Delight
- Peach Crisp
- Peach Blueberry Crisp
- 3-Ingredient No-Bake Oreo Pie
- Easy No-Bake Cheesecake
If you try this Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
For the Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 pints (about 4 cups) ice cream (use any favorite brand and flavor)
- 32 M&M Cookies (recipe below)
- Optional for rolling the sides of the cookie sandwiches: mini M&Ms, crushed M&Ms, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles
For the M&M Cookies
- 3 ¼ cup (390g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup, 2 sticks, (226g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (288g) light or dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups M&M’s, plus more for tops if desired
- Preheat oven to 365ºF or 185ºC. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Add softened butter and sugars to a large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to beat together on medium speed until combined and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition until just combined. With the last egg, add in vanilla extract.
- On low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture. Fold in the M&M’s. I have had success baking this dough without chilling it, but chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes will yield the best cookie.
- Drop balls of cookie dough onto the lined cookie sheet. I use about 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 mins. Remove from the oven right when edges start getting golden.
- If desired, while the cookies are still warm, press a few extra M&M’s into the tops of each cookie. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Before making the ice cream cookie sandwiches, transfer to the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich Assembly
- Take one cookie and place a scoop of ice cream (about 1/3 to 1/4 cup) on the flat side of the cookie. Top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich.
- Optional: Place mini or crushed M&Ms, sprinkles or mini chocolate chips in a bowl or on plate. Roll sides of the sandwich in the chips or sprinkles. You can serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze.
Storing ice cream cookie sandwiches: Once assembled, let them harden in the freezer for an hour. Then, individually wrap them in plastic wrap or place in reusable storage bags. They will keep in the freezer for about 2-3 months.
This recipe was originally published July 2020. It was updated with new content June 2021.