Healthy Cherry Almond Broccoli Salad
A hearty healthy cherry almond broccoli salad loaded with my favorite antioxidant-rich ingredients. Broccoli, cherries, almonds, avocado and bacon (thrown in for good measure, not the antioxidants, obviously ) come together to make an incredibly tasty salad with wonderful flavor and texture.
Cherries are so delicious right now; I totally recommend adding them to any meal you decide to whip up. Yes, my normal summer cherry addiction is in full swing. Just be sure you have a great cherry pitter. I got pretty lucky when I started making this healthy cherry almond broccoli salad. Landen was in the kitchen chating with me and was willing to help pit the whole bag of cherries. He was the one with the cherry-stained hands this time!
This summer has just started and I’m enjoying it so much. We haven’t done any vacationing, yet, but the kids and I are having a great time just hanging out together. Yesterday, Landen and I even did some antiquing. I’ve been on the search for unique vintage-looking props for food photography. We had so much fun browsing all of the old items and I found some awesome silverware and a muffin pan. I posted my goods on Instagram and Snapchat– you should follow along!
From the plump juicy cherries and crisp bacon to the crunchy almonds and broccoli florets, this is one of the best salads I’ve ever had. I literally could not stop eating it. I even got a bit of a tummy ache, I ate so much. Uh oh! The dressing is even made “skinny” by swapping out mayo with avocado. You get a lovely creaminess that melds so well with all of the other ingredients. You’d never guess this deliciousness is so super healthy!
I knew this salad would be awesome because cherries, oh and also, bacon but I wasn’t expecting it to become a new favorite! SO many delicious new textures and flavors in this salad! You guys are going to love this summer side dish. It’s:
Sweet and savory
Perfect for family get togethers and backyard barbecues!
If you make it, please snap a photo and be sure to tag @kimscravings on Instagram. I have so much fun seeing what you guys whip up!
- For the dressing:
- ½ large peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 3 tablespoons water + more as needed for desired consistency
- Salt & pepper to taste as needed
- For the salad:
- 2 slices turkey bacon cooked and diced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli cut into very small florets (about 2 medium heads)
- 2 cups cherries seeded and halved
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup almonds coarsely chopped
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add an extra tablespoon or two, if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, broccoli, cherries, onion and almonds. Gradually stir in all of the avocado dressing. Enjoy! Makes great leftovers and will last a couple of days in the fridge covered or in a large baggie.
Are you a cherry addict like me? You should check out my other favorite cherry recipes!
What’s your favorite summer fruit?
Shop this post!