Flavorful Caramelized Onion Hummus
You may never want to buy store bought hummus again. This Flavorful Caramelized Onion Hummus is irresistible!
I absolutely adore the rich sweet flavor that comes from slowly cooking onion slices in olive oil until the slices are browned, tender and caramelized. Caramelized onions pretty much enhance the flavor of anything, from burgers to stews, so why not hummus?!?!
It’s very easy to caramelize onions, but following these steps will give you perfect savory, but sweet onions every time.
- Slice a yellow or white onion into consistent slices with the same amount of thickness to ensure that the onion slices cook evenly.
- Onions loose a lot of volume during the cooking process, so start off with more than you think you’ll use.
- Cook one onion (sliced) in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil at medium heat for about 40ish minutes, stirring around every couple of minutes.
- Mix in fresh herbs for different flavors.
- Caramelized onions dress up salads, soups, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, dips, potatoes, eggs and so much more.
Simple Mills did not sponsor this post, but I have to mention my love for these crackers. If you haven’t tried them, please go out and buy them asap. Simple Mills’ products are all paleo, gluten-free and vegan friendly. Next up, I’ll be whipping up their banana muffins or maybe the chocolate cake. 😉
This dip is sweet and savory at the same time, and so satisfying. Plus, it’s healthy, gluten free and vegan. Can I just tell you how insanely delicious this hummus is? It’s:
Light and healthy
What more could you ask for in a dip?
I have also served it with crusty bread, which I highly recommend. This hummus and bread were meant to be together. However, it’s also super tasty with crackers, raw veggies and even chips.
This makes such a great app to bring to any parties or social gatherings. It’s vegan and gluten free and is absolutely sensational. Even picky eaters will love it. (Not to mention, it would be a lovely sandwich spread the day after with its creamy texture.)
If you try this flavorful caramelized onion hummus, let me know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #kimscravings on Instagram! I want to see your snacking in action! Enjoy, friends!
Flavorful Caramelized Onion Hummus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + more to top hummus,, as desired
- 1 medium to large yellow or white onion,, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini, (ground sesame seeds)
- 3 garlic cloves,, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, (about 1/2 lemon), juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- dash of pepper
- 2-4 tablespoons water, (as needed for desired consistency)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion slices to skillet and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all other hummus ingredients (except water) to the bowl of a food processor and set aside until onion slices are ready.
- Once onion slices are caramelized, allow them to cool slightly. Then add them to the food processor bowl with the other hummus ingredients. (If desired, reserve a small amount of onions for garnishing hummus)
- Process ingredients until smooth. Add water as needed for desired consistency.
- Transfer hummus to a serving bowl and garnish with additional caramelized onion slices. Serve with crackers, pita chips and/or raw veggies or use as a spread for wraps and sandwiches.
CHECK OUT MY OTHER FAVORITE HUMMUS RECIPES
Something to think about….
Do you have a favorite hummus flavor? Have you ever tried making homemade hummus?