Easy Healthy Tomato Sauce
You’re just a few simple ingredients from a large batch of clean-eating, nutritious and oh so easy healthy tomato sauce! Sure, it’s super convenient to use store-bought tomato sauce, but most are made with sugar and several other questionable ingredients you may or may not be able to pronounce. This tomato sauce- 100% REAL!
For the past two weeks, I’ve been making a large batch of this yummy tomato sauce and pretty much putting it on everything. From eggs to chicken, it adds so much flavor and really spices up your meal.
It’s quite lovely served with zoodles and my clean-eating meatballs, I’ll be sharing very soon. Oh, and red wine… it’s good with that too!
This super clean eating tomato sauce is-
and good-for-you made with all-natural ingredients!
Easy Healthy Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine* (optional, add for extra flavor)
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add garlic and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add wine (alternatively you can use water or vegetable broth); cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; gently boil, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.
**Feel free to simmer sauce past the 1 hour mark to further develop the flavor. You can cook on very low heat for up to 6 hours. Cover and stir occasionally. Add about 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth as needed for desired consistency.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
If you have a love for all things tomato, like I do, you’ll enjoy these other tomato-packed recipes on the blog!
Grandma’s Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs
How long does this keep for? I am only using some of it today, so when would I need to use it by or should I just pop it in the freezer?
It should be a good for a little over a week and any longer I would go ahead and freeze it. I also use it in this recipe https://www.kimscravings.com/2015/09/clean-eating-mexican-taco-meat/ It’s a family favorite! Enjoy!
Great! Thank you 🙂