Easy Gluten-Free Taco Mac and Cheese
This easy gluten-free taco mac and cheese is a super quick and oh so tasty Mexican-inspired meal that’s sure to be a family favorite and a recipe you’ll want to whip up again and again!
Macaroni and cheese and I go way back. My favorite food as a child was the boxed mac and cheese. Sometimes my mom would change things up and add slices of wieners. As much as I loved that as a child, as an adult I’m not really down with wieners and mac and cheese for dinner. But taco mac and cheese… yeah, I’m totally down with that!
To create my gluten-free taco mac and cheese, I used the new gluten-free mac and cheese from Horizon. Yay! Now even my gluten-free friends can enjoy a yummy mac and cheese meal. Horizon gluten-free pasta tastes great and brings the cheesiness kids (and adults!) crave. Made with organic pasta from a blend of rice, lentil, and corn flour and real organic cheese, Horizon mac is the kind of thing you just can’t outgrow.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup canned corn kernels drained
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning I used a brand that's pretty strong, you may want to use additional taco seasoning, depending on preference.
- 1 box Horizon Organic Gluten-Free Mac
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves and diced avocado optional for garnish
- Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook and crumble meat until it is no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired to taste.
- Stir in corn, black beans and green chilies until well combined. Add tomatoes, salsa, taco seasoning, macaroni noodles, powder cheese (from Horizon boxed mac) and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in fresh cilantro and top with chopped avocado, if desired. Enjoy!
This taco mac and cheese also works wonderful as a make-ahead meal. Leftovers were fabulous! Now, head on over to the Horizon on Pinterest for more quick, easy, delicious meal ideas!
Something to think about….
Are you a mac and cheese lover, like me? Did you grow up on the stuff?
Does your family have taco Tuesday? If so, and it’s getting a bit boring; this taco mac and cheese is the perfect alternative.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.