Cruciferous Crunch Salad with Avocado Dressing
Hi, guys! On Monday, I shared my long list of favorites from Trader Joe’s, aka—-> the coolest grocery store around. I decided to take a few items from Trader Joe’s and demonstrate how to create a fabulous meal, the Cruciferous Crunch Salad with Avocado Dressing.
Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch Collection includes chopped kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, green cabbage and red cabbage. At only 1.99 for a 10 ounce bag, you get colorful, crunchy, pre-shredded salad. Tossed raw with this avocado dressing it makes for a hearty salad. Sautéed, steamed, roasted, or creamed-it becomes a super side dish.
Before stumbling upon a bag of cruciferous crunch shredded salad at Trader Joe’s, I don’t know if I had even heard the word, cruciferous. A little google search and cancer.gov told me cruciferous vegetables are part of the Brassica genus of plants. They include the following vegetables, among others: arugula, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard greens, horseradish, kale, radishes, rutabaga, turnips, watercress and wasabi. Click on the cancer.gov link to learn more about how these cruciferous vegetables could protect you against cancer.
This cruciferous crunch salad with avocado dressing is a crunchy delectable salad that’s filled with cancer-fighting veggies. To keep things vegetarian substitute chickpeas for the chicken and feel free to add in other favorites. Nuts, seeds and dried fruit would all be great additions.
- For the salad:
- 1 10 oz. bag shredded carrots
- 1 10 oz. bag cruciferous crunch shredded salad mix from Trader Joe's (alternatively you could use slaw mix and shredded kale)
- 1 jalapeno with seeds and ribs removed diced very fine (more or less depending on taste)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken use rotisserie chicken or salsa slow cooker chicken
- For the dressing:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce I used tabasco
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt as needed for taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large salad serving bowl and toss to combine.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix together until smooth.
- Divide salad evenly into 4 bowls and serve with dressing- enjoy!
Please note: Nutritional information is calculated based on using all of the dressing, divided equally among 4 salads. I typically use less dressing than this and have dressing left over.
Something to think about….
Have you tried the cruciferous crunch shredded salad mix from Trader Joe’s?
If you’re a salad lover, like myself, you’re sure to enjoy a few other super salad recipes on the blog!