Blueberry Banana Muffins with Almond Streusel Topping
Whole grain blueberry banana muffins filled with plump juicy blueberries and covered with a sweet almond streusel topping! These muffins are a MUST make and so perfect for Easter brunch!
HEALTHY BLUEBERRY MUFFINS FOR EASTER BRUNCH
Easter brunch is at my house, this year, and I’m already planning out the menu. Blueberry muffins have always been my favorite and you guys know how I feel about muffins. It’s not a proper brunch, unless muffins are served. These aren’t just any blueberry muffins, though.
TIPS FOR HEALTHY BLUEBERRY BANANA MUFFINS
These tender blueberry muffins have 3 beautiful ripe bananas mixed into the batter, which means you won’t need much oil to make these babies super moist and if your bananas are nice and ripe, you won’t need much sweetener to give these a wonderful sweet flavor- only 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup for 12 muffins.
But that’s not all… these beauties aren’t complete without a crunchy, nutty, irresistible almond streusel topping. I bet you didn’t see that coming. 🙂
As your muffins bake, the lovely aroma coming from the oven is all you, your guests or family will need, to know you’re on the right track with brunchin’ food. Oh you guys, the smell is more mind-blowing than any store-bought candle.
And then one bite of these soft muffins, bursting with blueberry deliciousness and finished with a crumbly honey-flavored almond topping- this will be your new favorite muffin recipe too! Also they’re so easy, only requiring a handful of pantry staples and one bowl.
ALMOND STREUSEL TOPPING
The almond topping is really non-negotiable and you must use Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds because they add a sweet honey flavor that is simply perfect for these muffins. I’m having a really hard time resisting eating more than two of these at a time and that’s why I recommend making them for a crowd. Another option is to enjoy one or a few straight from the oven and then freeze the rest for a special treat every now and then.
Whether you’re looking to bake up these stunners for Easter, Mother’s Day or any old morning, take my advice and just do it. I know you’ll adore this version of the breakfast staple as much as I do. They’re:
irresistibly soft and tender
and nothing short of amazing!
- 1½ cups flour (all-purpose, whole wheat, whole grain spelt will all work*.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 room temperature eggs
- ¼ cup honey**
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- 3 small extra ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries***
- 1/4 cup almond flour*****
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup Honey Roasted Almonds, chopped and/or sliced****
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners or coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and add whisked eggs, honey, coconut oil, almond (or vanilla) extract and mashed bananas. Stir gradually until flour has almost disappeared. Gently fold in blueberries. Fill 12 muffin cups evenly and close to full.
- In a small bowl, stir to combine almond flour, coconut oil and almonds. Sprinkle the almond streusel evenly over the tops of the muffins and press down lightly.
- Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out almost clean, 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto the rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
*I used 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat and have used Spelt Flour previously.
**Maple syrup can be substituted
***For frozen blueberries, increase cooking time by about 5 minutes
****If you choose to use raw almonds or a different variety of almond, you may want to add 1-2 tablespoon(s) sugar or coconut sugar.
*****Almond flour can be purchased or grind Blue Diamond almonds in a high-speed blender or food processor until the almonds become flour-like.
~Inspired and adapted from my Strawberry Banana Muffins with Oat Streusel Topping
If you love these Blueberry Banana Muffins and blueberries are your fave, try some of my other delicious blueberry recipes!