Autumn Shredded Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad
Autumn Shredded Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad is a crispy, crunchy, healthy salad loaded with fresh fall flavors. Finely shredded raw brussels sprouts, crisp juicy apples, sweet chewy dried cranberries, pecans and feta cheese all tossed together and then dressed in an easy delicious poppyseed dressing for the perfect flavor combination.
AUTUMN SHREDDED BRUSSELS SPROUTS APPLE SALAD:
Are you team Brussels sprouts? It’s seems that people either love them or hate them. I’m definitely in the LOVE category and I always have been. Even if you’re not a fan of cooked Brussels, you may really like this salad. My kiddos don’t care for them… except shredded in salads. We can’t get enough and even enjoyed this two nights in a row last week. It’s very filling and has the most wonderful flavors and textures. I’m pretty sure, it’s going to steal the show at your Thanksgiving dinner table.
HOW TO SHRED BRUSSELS SPROUTS:
While many grocery stores sell shredded Brussels sprouts, I prefer to shred them at home for salads. I just find they’re fresher, taste better and you can slice them very, very thin! I’ve actually washed and shredded ahead of time and kept them in baggie in the fridge for up to a week and they keep perfectly.
They’re very simple to shred and there is no need to remove the core.
- Cut off the small stem end. Peel back any tough outer leaves from the sprouts then very thinly shred with a sharp knife. I’ve used the slicing disc on my food processor to thinly slice Brussels sprouts before, but a sharp knife is the best way to finely shred vs slice.
- Once sliced, place sprouts in a large bowl of cold water to wash. Drain well (I use my salad spinner).
- Use immediately or place in a baggie and store up to one week.
Not only is this salad great for everyday dinner or lunch, and the holidays, but it’s perfect to bring to a potluck. Since the shredded Brussels sprouts are heartier than lettuce, they stand up to being dressed much longer. Whenever and however you serve it – enjoy!
OTHER FALL INSPIRED SALADS, YOU’LL LOVE:
Autumn Chopped Salad from The Recipe Critic
Fall Harvest Salad from A Beautiful Plate
Autumn Shredded Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad is a simple, crispy, crunchy, healthy salad loaded with the perfect combo of fresh fall flavors.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, chopped (I like Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apples for this salad.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or craisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or other favorite nut
- 1/2 cup reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Poppyseed Dressing of choice*
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Prepare Brussels sprouts according to instructions in post. Toss chopped apple in lemon juice to prevent browning.
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl until well blended or shake up in a small jar.
Add dressing mixture to salad and toss to coat. Enjoy!
*I use Panera Bread Poppyseed Dressing, found in your grocer's produce department. TO MAKE VEGAN: Omit the feta cheese and use a vegan mayo. TO MAKE WHOLE30: Omit the feta cheese and use a Whole30 compliant mayo. PUMP IT UP: Feel free to add bacon, rotisserie chicken, quinoa or chickpeas to this salad to make it a complete meal.