If you’re a longtime Kim’s Cravings reader, you know, waffles are my very favorite breakfast option. I always go with waffles on the sweet side; like my Buckwheat Belgian Waffles, Bluberry Coconut Waffles, Snickerdoodle Waffles and Grain-free Pumpkin Waffles. But for the longest time, I’ve wanted to try a more savory waffle and the savory bacon and cheese waffles were born.
Now, you guys know that my sweet tooth is always raging, but I honestly loved this savory twist on my favorite breakfast. I still tasted a hint of sweetness from the pancake/waffle mix and I drizzled my waffles with a little honey, which was the perfect touch. The addition of bacon and cheese balances out the sweet with salty and this sweet and savory combination is truly a match made in breakfast heaven.
Super easy, too, for those hectic mornings- just use your favorite pancake/waffle mix and then add in the extras. My personal favorite boxed pancake/waffle mix is Kodiak Cakes Flapjack and Waffle Mix. For this particular recipe, I used the Power Cakes mix, which is packed with protein.
Go ahead and get a leg up on breakfast and make a double batch- these savory bacon and cheese waffles keep well in the fridge and freezer. If you don’t have a waffle maker, no worries, they work great as pancakes too. What are you waiting for? It’s time to really spice things up in the kitchen with this sweet favorite made savory with the addition of bacon and cheese. Your family will definitely thank you!
- 2 pieces cooked nitrate free bacon, diced (I used turkey bacon)
- ¼ cup shredded/grated cheese (I used smoked Gouda)
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 cup Kodiak Cakes Flapjack and Waffle Mix and 1 cup water (other pancake/waffle mixes will also work)
- Optional toppings- additional diced bacon, cheese and chives, maple syrup and/or honey
- Heat waffle iron and spray with a natural cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Pour waffle batter on waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron instructions. Continue with remaining batter.
- Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Something to think about….
Have you ever tried creating a savory waffle? What mix-ins did you use?
Have you tried Kodiak Cakes mixes, yet? So good, huh?!?!
If you enjoy savory bacon and cheese waffles, check out other waffle recipes on the blog!
Disclosure: I was not compensated by Kodiak Cakes for the this post, however I am provided free product from Kodiak Cakes and I do create recipes for them on a monthly basis for compensation.