Vegan Brown Rice Burrito Salad Bowl
Special thanks to Minute® Ready to Serve Rice for sponsoring this post and these awesome brown rice burrito salad bowls! As always, all opinions are my own.
This quick and easy vegan brown rice burrito salad bowl is made with fresh good-for-you ingredients. It can also be thrown together in under 20 minutes and is the perfect dinner for those busy weeknights.
Happy New Year to all of my foodie friends and lovely readers! January is the season of the salad, as most of us move past the rich foods from holiday celebrations. As much as I love Christmas cookies and pumpkin pie, it always feels good to proceed on to fresher, cleaner foods in January. This (dare I say) better than Chipotle salad bowl is a fabulous way to kick the new year off right! What’s there not to love? This salad is full of nutrients, packed with tasty ingredients and comes together in less than 20 minutes.
These salad bowls are REALLY simple to create, plus they’re SUPER tasty too! Start with some chopped lettuce- I prefer romaine for this salad, but feel free to chop up your favorite greens or a mixture of two varieties. Time for those burrito fillings- first comes the cilantro lime brown rice with black or pinto beans and then the fajita vegetables. Last is my favorite part- pile on those extras; like salsa, mashed avocado, cilantro and whatever else your little heart desires.
Brown rice usually takes quite a bit of time to cook up, but not with Minute® Ready to Serve Rice. For my salad bowl, I simply heated a few (one per serving) Minute® Ready to Serve Rice cups for 60 seconds. Easy peasy! In just 60 seconds, you have fully cooked rice with nothing to add for any meal or snack. Not only are the Minute® Ready to Serve Rice cups great for adding to meals, but they are also convenient to keep at the office. I’ve been bringing these to work with me and I just add some mixed veggies and it’s the perfect quick lunch. Surprisingly, I’ve even been enjoying these for breakfast too. I just add almond butter, berries and granola to the Minute® Ready to Serve Rice cups… so yummy. Besides the convenience of this rice, I also love that it is not sticky. I don’t know about you, but I despise sticky rice.
Since the holidays have come and gone, I’m sure many of you are going to be making a conscious effort to clean up those eats. Minute® Ready to Serve Rice is a wholesome option, which provides easy portion control since it’s conveniently packaged in two individual single-serving cups. Do you make New Year’s resolutions? If so, is one of them to make more nutritious food choices? Working in easy snacks and meals using convenient and wholesome products like Minute® Ready to Serve Rice will help ease you into those healthy lifestyle changes to kick the New Year off right!
- Chopped romaine lettuce for serving about 1-2 cups per serving
- 2-4 single serve Minute® Ready to Serve Rice depending on how much rice you'd like in your salad bowl (alternatively you can cook 2 cups brown Minute® rice and 1 3/4 water or vegetable broth over the stove according to package instructions)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro feel free to use more as desired
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 can black or pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen fajita veggies*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- desired toppings such as; guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, dairy-free sour cream and fresh cilantro
- Divide chopped lettuce into 4 bowls and microwave each Minute® Ready to Serve Rice cup for 60 seconds.
- Meanwhile, saute fajita veggies in olive oil and season with oregano, until soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- If desired, make guacamole and prepare toppings while rice and veggies are cooking.
- An easy, tasty guacamole can be made by mashing an avocado with garlic salt, lime juice, paprika, crushed red pepper and salt. Season with a few dashes of each, taste and add more seasoning as needed.
- Transfer rice from rice cups into a medium bowl and stir beans, lime juice and cilantro into rice.
- Top lettuce with brown rice mixture, veggies and other desired toppings. Enjoy with chips!
*Feel free to use fresh sliced bell pepper and onion or use fresh precut fajita veggies that can be found in the produce department at your grocery store.
**Nutritional information calculated for 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, black beans and without toppings; like guacamole, cheese, salsa or sour cream.
Visit Minute® Rice for recipes, including stir-in recipe ideas, and more information about the Minute® Ready to Serve Rice family of products. Also, check out all of the different varieties Minute® Ready to Serve Rice available.
Something to think about….
Did you have a fun New Year’s Eve? Do anything special?
Are you making any New Year’s resolutions/goals for 2015?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Minute® Ready to Serve Rice.