Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
It doesn’t get much easier than Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken- throw chicken, taco seasoning, chopped onion, minced jalapeno and RO*TEL in your slow cooker for an easy, hassle-free, flavorful meal!
This chicken only takes a few minutes to put together and in just a few hours, you can have a terrific dinner ready for your family and friends. Slower cooker Tex Mex chicken is absolutely perfect to make for game day fun or any other gathering of friends and/or family. You’re able to prepare for guests while your trusty slow cooker does all of the work. I’m pretty sure the slow cooker is the best kitchen hack ever!
There are a variety of uses for this tender chicken recipe. You can serve it up as a taco or burrito filling, as a topping for salad or a burrito bowl. I simply stuffed my chicken between two pieces of soft fluffy bread… yum! It cooks up so tender and shreds apart beautifully. Feel free to go crazy with the toppings and add-ins. I chose to keep things simple with just a little fresh cilantro, but sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions and tomato would be delish.
Start with about 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless raw chicken breast and about 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Sprinkle the seasoning all over the chicken breast and rub it in good. Place them in the slow cooker.
Then, scatter chopped onion and jalapeno over the chicken.
Pour 2 cans of RO*TEL over the top. RO*TEL is one of my favorite Tex Mex ingredients- the mix of vine-ripened tomatoes and diced green chilis make ordinary recipes come alive with the bold, festive flavor of the Southwest. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
After chicken is cooked, remove from slow cooker and either chop it up or shred it. I used two forks to shred my chicken. Place chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 20 oz RO*TEL, 2 cans
- salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- For serving: sandwich bread, lettuce leaves, tortillas
- Sprinkle and rub taco seasoning all over chicken breasts, then place chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Scatter onion and jalapeno over chicken breasts. Pour RO*TEL over the top, place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- After chicken is cooked through, remove from slow cooker and chop up or shred. Place chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, scoop out chicken and place on bread, lettuce leaves or tortilla and enjoy!
I found the ingredients used in this recipe at my local Walmart store. The RO*TEL can be found near other canned tomato products and I spotted this yummy bread in the bakery department.
Something to think about….
Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe that you love serving to a crowd?
What’s your favorite RO*TEL recipe?