This, my friend, is your guide to the most perfect quick and tasty oatmeal breakfast that can be cooked up in the microwave. Whether you’re living in a dorm and don’t have access to an oven or you just prefer an easy mess-free morning meal, you’re going to love this recipe for Raspberry Apple Microwave Baked Oatmeal in a Mug.
Cold cereal is great, but there is just something so comforting about a bowl (or mug) of oatmeal. And it really doesn’t get any easier or more convenient than this recipe for baking oatmeal in the microwave.
The consistency of baked oatmeal is different than regular stove top oatmeal. This version is fluffy and creamy and doesn’t have that chewy texture that some stovetop oats have. I really enjoy my oats cooked this way, even more so than your average bowl of oatmeal.
The applesauce and cinnamon give this breakfast that classic apple pie flavor. The addition of fresh raspberries delivers a delightful pop of tart-sweetness that pairs perfectly with the mild apple taste. The combination of the slightly sweet flavors married with the creaminess of the oats totally hits the spot.
It is breakfast, so to keep things nutritious this recipe uses only clean-eating ingredients. All of the deliciousness comes from naturally sweet fruit with just 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. You can definitely experiment with ingredients too! Feel free to get creative and add in your favorites. Try dried fruit, other fresh fruits, nuts, coconut and nut butters.
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats*
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk**
- ⅓ cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup fresh raspberries***
- Spray a medium to large microwave-safe mug (or small bowl) with cooking spray and inside combine all ingredients except raspberries. Gradually stir in raspberries.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. (I checked my mug at 2 minutes and then let it cook 1 minute more.)
- Stir in extra milk, yogurt or nut butter; if desired. Enjoy!
**Use any milk product that you prefer.
***I have not tried using frozen blueberries, but I'm sure it would work just fine. You could also try using another type of berry.
- I adapted this recipe from my Blueberry Banana Microwave Baked Oatmeal recipe. Be sure to give that one a try too!
If you’re a fan of microwave mug recipes, you absolutely must try my Cinnamon Roll Microwave Mug Cake! It’s one of the most popular recipes on Kim’s Cravings and for good reason!
Also don’t miss the recipe this one was adapted after, Blueberry Banana Microwave Baked Oatmeal.
Something to think about….
Are you an oatmeal fan? What’s your favorite oatmeal add-ins?
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I have the past few days. If you recreate it be sure to share on Instagram and tag me @KimsCravings. I LOVE to see what you’re cooking up!
Shop the post below with a few of my favorite things!