Mushroom Cream Sauce
Mushroom Cream Sauce is rich, creamy, and loaded with delicious savory flavor! This mushroom sauce recipe is easy to make and ready in about 20 minutes! It’s the best topping for steak, pork, chicken, or even combine it with pasta for a crowd pleasing meal!
I tried this and it was a big hit with a couple of friends. I’ll make it again and again, delicious.— Beverly
The great thing about an amazing sauce, like this Mushroom Cream Sauce, is that it can elevate an old recipe and make it feel brand new. It’s the perfect way to add a little pizazz to any type of meat, especially steak, meatballs and even mashed potatoes.
And let me tell you, spaghetti with a creamy mushroom sauce is where it’s at! This combined with pasta is SO good. And I have to mention that 2 of my 3 kids cannot stand mushrooms. And guess what? All 3 of my kids LOVE this recipe. Somehow the yummy creaminess made them totally forget about the veggies. My husband loves it so much, he’ll eat just the sauce, with a spoon. Maybe I should make a soup version… needless to say, it’s a total winner!
It’s made with a simple base of mushrooms, onions, garlic, vegetable broth, basil, butter and a little whipping cream for wonderful creaminess. As an added plus, the recipe comes together super quick and easy, in less than 30 minutes.
Let’s cook some up!
This delicious mushroom cream sauce has tons of wonderful flavors thanks to the combination of mushrooms, sautéed onions + garlic, bell pepper and heavy whipping cream. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Olive or avocado oil. For cooking down the vegetables.
- Mushrooms. My go-to mushrooms for most recipes are baby bella (cremini) mushrooms. They have a wonderful flavor and texture that works really well in this recipe. Feel free to use white button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or wild mushrooms instead.
- Bell pepper. I love the colorful addition of a red bell pepper, but use any color you want. This ingredient can also be omitted, if preferred.
- Onion + garlic. Sautéed onion and garlic adds delicious aromatic flavor.
- Butter. Just 1 tablespoon is needed to add a little extra richness.
- Basil, salt & pepper. Salt and pepper will bring out all of the delicious flavors and I love the taste of basil in savory sauces. Feel free to add in whatever herbs you have on hand that sound good. Thyme, oregano, rosemary or sage would all be great alternatives.
- Flour. To thicken the sauce.
- Broth. Serves as the base. To keep this recipe vegetarian, use vegetable broth. Chicken broth or beef broth work too.
- Heavy whipping cream. For all that delicious creaminess!
- Garnish. The addition of parsley is optional, but highly recommended for color and freshness. I also love to add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese over the top when serving.
How to make this recipe
You may have tried other mushroom sauce recipes, but this one’s the BEST! It’s also super easy! Here’s the simple process:
- Cook vegetables. The first step is to heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Once hot, add onion, mushrooms and bell pepper and sauté about 5 minutes and until soft and cooked through. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Make the sauce. To the vegetables, add butter and salt; stir until butter is melted. Then, add flour and stir to combine. Add broth and stir frequently for 3 to 5 minutes and until sauce is thickened. Stir in basil and pepper.
- Add creaminess. Once the sauce has thickened to your liking, remove pan from heat and stir in the cream.
- Serve + enjoy! Give it a taste for seasoning and adjust, as needed. Then, serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, mashed potatoes, pork, steak, meatballs or chicken. Add a garnish of fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese!
This mushroom sauce recipe is quite flexible, so feel free to adjust ingredient amounts and customize things as you wish! Here are some different options:
- Gluten-free. Use your favorite gluten-free flour or even cornstarch as a thickening agent.
- Dairy-free. Instead of heavy whipping cream, use almond milk or another nondairy alternative. Even regular milk or half-and-half would work, but depending on which liquid you use, you may need to whisk the mixture longer or shorter for it to thicken properly.
- Make it smooth. If you’d rather your mushroom cream sauce be smooth, use an immersion blender to purée it, until it reaches your desired level of smoothness. Or carefully transfer it to a blender (being sure to slightly lift the lid on the blender to allow hot air to escape) and purée until smooth.
- Make it spicy. To add a little heat, stir in 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and/or a pinch of cayenne pepper when you add the basil.
Frequently asked questions
Either flour or cornstarch will work to thicken this sauce. This recipe calls for flour, but cornstarch does have more thickening power than flour (because it’s pure starch, while flour has some protein in it). So usually you need a little less cornstarch than flour for the equivalent thickening power.
If your mushroom sauce turned out watery, it’s most likely because you used light cream instead of heavy cream. To correct this, simply whisk in a bit of flour or cornstarch over low heat and it should thicken nicely.
Once the flour and broth is added, the sauce should only take about 5 minutes to thicken.
No matter how you use this sauce, it’s bound to be a big hit! Here are some different ideas for serving:
- Healthy Turkey Meatballs. The perfect pairing for these meatballs that will take family dinners to the next level!
- Perfect Baked Chicken. This creamy sauce pairs wonderfully with this juicy chicken recipe.
- Easy Meatloaf. Don’t add the tomato sauce over the top and serve with this creamy mushroom sauce recipe instead to transform this tasty meatloaf!
- Grilled Chicken. My favorite grilled chicken recipe would pair exceptionally well with these creamy mushrooms.
Other ideas are to serve it over baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, steak, pork chops, or stir it into cooked pasta. The options are pretty much endless!
Store leftover mushroom cream sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to about 4 days. Rewarm in the microwave or over the stovetop before serving with recipe of choice. If the sauce gets too thick sitting in the fridge, you may need to stir in a small amount of milk or broth when rewarming. I haven’t tried freezing this, but I don’t think it would hold up well to being frozen.
If you try this, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 12 ounces diced or sliced mushrooms*
- 1 diced bell pepper (any color)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional for garnish
- parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, mushrooms and bell pepper to the heated skillet and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes and until soft and cooked through. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Stir in butter and salt. Once the butter is melted, add flour and stir to combine.
- Add 2 cups broth; cook and stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes and until sauce is thickened. Mixture should be hot and bubbly. Stir in basil and black pepper.
- Once sauce has thickened to your preference, turn off heat and stir in 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, mashed potatoes, meatballs, pork, steak or chicken. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
I tried this was a big hit with a couple of friends I’ll make it again and again delicious
Oh that makes me so happy, Beverly!! Thanks so much for your comment!