Apple Coffee Cake
If you’re looking for an easy dessert recipe made with apples, this Apple Coffee Cake is perfect! A simple, yet impressive crumb cake that’s filled with fresh apples and topped with the most delicious cinnamon brown sugar streusel. Add a drizzle of homemade glaze and you’ve got the perfect fall treat!
Of all the fall flavors, I have to say while I love me some pumpkin, cinnamon apple is probably my favorite. I’m such an apple fan and the sweet aroma of apple mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon gets me every time. So naturally, I’m currently trying to create any type of recipe that I can add apples into. Have you tried my apple fritters or homemade apple pie yet? Well, my new favorite apple recipe is this sweet, moist, and oh-so-delicious Apple Coffee Cake!
You may have tried other coffee cake recipes, but I can assure you that this one really does stand out in the crowd. It’s based off of my easy coffee cake recipe, which is a MAJOR family favorite. My family might love this recipe even more! This whole Apple Coffee Cake was devoured by my family in less than twelve hours. I think that’s a new record!
The thing to do right now is to step away from the computer and get in your kitchen. You need this in your life. You deserve this. It’s go-time!
What’s in Apple Coffee Cake?
Honestly, this easy apple coffee cake recipe could be one of my favorite apple recipes of all time! It’s moist, tender, perfectly sweet, packed with warm spices and so incredibly delicious that it’s bound to become a forever family favorite. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Streusel topping. A simple mix of all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter makes for a sweet crunchy layer that pairs so well with the tender cake. So good!
- Flour. To give this apple coffee cake the perfect texture, you need regular all-purpose flour. I have not experimented with using different flour varieties for this recipe.
- Baking soda and baking powder. Helps the cake rise!
- Salt. Really brings all of the flavors together!
- Cinnamon. We’re adding plenty of cinnamon to give this coffee cake that warm, cozy, fall flavor.
- Butter. Adds incredible moisture and lightens up the crumb.
- Brown sugar. Sweetens the cake and gives it amazing flavor and texture.
- Egg. One egg is needed to add moisture and bind the cake together.
- Yogurt. Feel free to use vanilla or plain yogurt to achieve the perfect moist texture. Sour cream works great too! I recommend using full fat yogurt or sour cream.
- Vanilla + apple extract. Flavor boosters! If you don’t have apple extract, no worries, it just adds a little extra apple flavor.
- Apples. We’ll talk more apple details below. Personally, honeycrisp apples are my favorite for any recipe.
- Glaze. Optional, but highly recommend. A simple mixture of powdered (confectioners’) sugar and milk drizzled over the top is incredible.
Best apples for apple coffee cake: I personally like to use honeycrisp apples for any apple recipe. The tart apples pair really well with the sweet cake and streusel topping. They are also firm enough to hold up to baking. They’ll bake up nice and tender, but not get overly mushy. Other great apple options for this apple coffee cake recipe would be Fuji, Braeburn and/or Pink Lady.
How to make apple coffee cake:
Coffee cake looks fancy, but it is really easy to make. Before starting the recipe, preheat the oven and either grease the pan or line it with parchment paper. Then grab all of the ingredients and start mixing!
- Make the streusel topping. Mix together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in melted butter and use your hands to incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients. For the cake, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar. Add the butter and sugar to a separate mixing bowl and use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine ingredients for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape sides as needed and then add the egg, yogurt, vanilla and apple extract (if using). Mix for 1 minute until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and smooth, again, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Fold diced apple into batter.
ASSEMBLE & BAKE THE CAKE
- Spoon batter into baking pan. Once the batter is in the prepared baking pan, use a spatula or spoon to spread it out evenly. It will seem very thin, but don’t worry, it will bake up nice and fluffy.
- Add streusel topping. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cake and gently press down with your fingers. It might seem like too much streusel, but trust me, it will be perfect!
- Bake the cake. Place the apple coffee cake into the oven and bake at 350ºF for about 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. My cake was done in 30 minutes.
- Cool cake. Remove the cake from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Make glaze. If using the glaze, stir the powdered sugar and milk together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle evenly over the cooled cake. Slice and enjoy!
Tips for recipe success
This apple coffee cake recipe is really straight-forward and easy to make, but here are a few tips so your cake is perfect every time.
- Follow the recipe. For best results, I highly recommend following the recipe and using the exact ingredients I’ve listed.
- Correct measuring. To ensure the correct amount of flour and best cake results, whisk the flour, then spoon it into a dry measuring cup and level off the top with a straight edge.
- Peeling apples. You don’t have to worry about peeling the apples before adding them to the batter. I usually don’t peel mine and no one even notices.
- Double the recipe. This apple coffee cake is SO delicious, you might want to double it! Simply bake it in a 9×13″ baking dish.
Apple coffee cake variations
I LOVE this apple coffee cake as is, but if you’d like to change it up, here are several suggestions.
- Powdered sugar. If you don’t want to add the glaze, simply dust the cooled cake with a bit of powdered sugar.
- Nuts. Want a little extra crunch? If you love nuts, add some finely chopped pecans or walnuts to the cake batter or just to the streusel topping.
- Spice. Try swapping the cinnamon for apple pie spice or even pumpkin pie spice.
- Dessert. Make this apple coffee cake into more of a dessert by serving it alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Apple coffee cake tastes best on day one and two. You can make the cake one day in advance. Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Cake can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for several hours at room temperature.
More apple favorites
If you try this apple coffee cake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Apple Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain yogurt , (sour cream works too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple extract , (optional)
- 2-3 cups apple diced into very small pieces , (any favorite apple will work)
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- To prepare the streusel topping, mix together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Stir in the melted butter and use your hands to really mix it up good. Set aside.
- For the cake, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a separate mixing bowl and use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine ingredients for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape sides as needed and then add the egg, yogurt, vanilla and apple extract (if using). Mix for 1 minute until combined and smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and smooth, again, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary. Fold diced apples into the batter.
- Transfer the batter into prepared baking pan. Spread it out with a spatula. It will seem very thin, but don’t worry, it will bake up nice and fluffy. Sprinkle streusel topping over the cake and gently press down with your fingers. It might seem like too much streusel, but we really enjoyed the amount.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. My cake was done in 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Stir glaze ingredients together in a small bowl, until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Double the Recipe: You can easily double this cake recipe and bake in a 9×13″ baking dish.