Pull together this healthy Apple Blackberry Crisp with sweet apples, plump juicy tart blackberries and simple wholesome ingredients. You’re going to love this super easy summery recipe!
So, hurry up before the warmer weather turns your house into a sauna, turn your oven on and bake this crisp!
Even though you won’t find any refined sugar, butter or flour in this nutritious dessert, there will not be any trouble getting rid of the delicious sweet treat. It’s a crowd-pleaser, that’s for sure.
This is the ultimate lazy girl’s dessert recipe. It’s rustic, fuss-free, only requires the fruit and a few pantry staples and is entirely gluten free and vegan. I have a few crisp recipes on the blog and they’re all pretty similar and have all been a major success. I basically just change up the fruit combo- blueberry and peach, pear and cranberry and apple.
The magic begins by heating cinnamon dusted apples in a cast-iron skillet. If you don’t have one, this is the perfect excuse to buy one. They’re super cheap and make everything taste better. You can use a pie plate and skip pre-cooking the apple slices, but I really like how cooking them makes them all cinnamony and soft.
For the crisp topping, we’re working with oats and almond meal; which gives the crisp such a nice nutty flavor and hearty texture. The crisp topping and slightly tart fruit filling are pretty much a match made in food heaven.
Yes, this makes a large amount, enough for 8 and I’m a little embarrassed to admit, but my husband, Landen and I had this gone in one day. It’s that good! I know you’re family will be crazy about this crisp too. It’s:
And outrageously awesome
Now off you go… get yourself in the kitchen and bake this yumminess up!
- For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced about ¼" (I didn't feel the need to peel mine.)*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup**
- ⅛ cup (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
- For the Crisp:
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if preferred)
- ½ cup almond meal/flour (almonds ground into flour)
- ¼ cup coconut or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (other oils or butter will work)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a 9-inch cast iron skillet or alternatively spray a 9-inch pie plate with a natural cooking spray.
- Toss apple slices in cinnamon and add to the heated skillet. Cook for about 3-5 minutes to soften.
- While apples are cooking, toss blackberries in cornstarch, maple syrup and lemon juice and set aside. Also, combine all crisp ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Remove skillet from heat and add blackberry mixture to apples. Sprinkle oat mixture over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow crisp to cool slightly before spooning out.
- Serve warm and with vanilla ice cream, Greek yogurt, cool whip or coconut cream, if desired.
**honey will work, but won't be vegan
A few other favorite fruit dessert recipes….
Something to think about….
Do you have a favorite fruity dessert?
Be sure to hop on over and enter to win $100 Stitch Fix gift card!
Shop the post!