Easy Kale Salad
An easy kale salad full of color and nutrition to get you back on track and make you feel fabulous!
Hello, friends! I just arrived back from a whirlwind trip in Salt Lake City learning about everything food at the Everything Food Conference. It was an absolute blast. Seriously, one of the funnest, most informative weekends ever! As you can imagine, there was plenty of food to enjoy too. From veggie burgers, sushi, blueberry muffins, fish tacos, quinoa bowls, cupcakes, popsicles and snacks everywhere- it was pretty much a foodie’s heaven. Sooooooo… this easy kale salad is necessary.
Oh yeah, did I mention I made the Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cake from Sally’s Baking Addiction WITH Sally? Yep! And it was delicious and she was just as sweet, beautiful and gracious as you would expect. Oh and that Lava Cake- best dessert ever. You guys have got to give it a try. It’s so easy to make too. Check out my pictures of the whole event on Instagram.
Not only will you see Sally and I posing before our baking adventure, you’ll also see me posing with Justin Willman formerly of Cupcake Wars. He is so, so, so funny. I laughed so hard, tears were literally streaming down my face and my mouth was sore from smiling so much. After hosting a Cupcake Wars with some food bloggers, he put on a magic/comedy show that brought the house down. In September he’ll be on Comedy Central with his own magic/comedy show. That is one show I’ll definitely be tuning in to see.
If you’re like me and have one of those weekends where you eat everything in site or just have a few major splurges, no worries… it happens to the best of us. Sometimes we just need a super healthy easy kale salad after a fun-filled weekend of drinks, cupcakes and lava cakes.
This salad is perfect for detoxing and giving your body a boost of nutrients to start feeling normal and healthy again. Bloat be gone!
An easy kale salad loaded with fresh zesty vegetables like purple cabbage and bell pepper and superfoods like hemp seeds and lemon juice. To make it even more satisfying add shredded chicken and/or sunflower seeds or almonds. Make this on Sunday and have lunch ready to go for the next few days. Your welcome.
- 4-6 leaves curly kale chopped (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ head purple cabbage shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup yellow red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup for vegan
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Wash and dry kale. Strip leaves from stem. Rip kale into smaller bite size pieces. Massage the kale by squeezing in fists until it takes on a greener, more wilted appearance.
- Add shredded purple cabbage and diced bell peppers to kale.
- For dressing place the oil, onion, honey or maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder and mustard powder in a high powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss leaves until they are fully coated in dressing. Sprinkle hemp seeds over salad and enjoy.
Recipe slightly adapted from the Tone It Up girls.
If this easy kale salad is your thing, you’ll love these other favorite salad recipes!
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite detox recipe? I also love green smoothies!