Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
This simple Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake is studded with sweet chocolate chips and infused with lovely Fall flavors- a MUST make this season!
The idea for these pumpkin bars came about due to leftover pumpkin sitting in my fridge, after whipping up my healthier pumpkin spice creamer and chocolate chip pumpkin waffles. And why not keep the pumpkin recipes comin’?!?!
This cake is perfectly moist with a delectable crumb. Once you dig in you will be hooked. I purposely kept things straightforward with this recipe- less is more and my kiddos tend to enjoy foods that aren’t too fancy. No nuts, no spreads, no fruit chunks- anyone else living with picky kids? Anyway their taste buds will be really happy… and yours will be too!
I kept the pumpkin snack cake healthier by using spelt flour (which you can substitute with whole wheat pastry flour) and honey for the sweetener. The pumpkin cake is easy to whip up and you can’t go wrong with the pumpkin and chocolate chip combo! It is the best! I decided against frosting because pumpkin topped with whipped coconut cream or Truwhip is way better than frosting if you ask me. 🙂
If you are a pumpkin chocolate chip fan, you have to give this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake a try. It is the perfect Fall dessert! You can make it for a celebration- Halloween is coming soon or just because you want to eat cake. I mean, come on, who needs a reason to eat cake? Especially when the cake is this easy! Get baking and enjoy a piece today!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature is best as not to harden the coconut oil
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin filling
- 1/3 cup honey, or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips, I use Enjoy Life brand
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir the spelt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and all spice together.
- In another medium bowl whisk the eggs; then stir in pumpkin, maple syrup and coconut oil together.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Fold in chocolate chips. Transfer to baking dish and spread evenly.
- Bake about 25-28 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool, cut into 9 bars and enjoy!
*To cut about 30 calories per bar, don't use the chocolate chips.
Looking for more fun Fall recipes? I’ve started an entire category on the blog dedicated to healthier Fall foods! Click on the link to enjoy all that this delightful season has to offer. –> https://www.kimscravings.com/category/healthy-fall-recipes/