Chocolate Banana Protein Mug Cake
Hiya, friends! My newest mug cake creation is the most moist decadent microwave treat yet! With just 5 minutes and 5 ingredients, this scrumptious Chocolate Banana Protein Mug Cake is a quick breakfast, snack or dessert option.
I don’t wanna see any eye rollin’- this microwave mug cake is not spongy or dry. The texture is absolutely perfectly dense and fudgy, reminiscent of your favorite brownie. The perfect chocolate fix, when you’re not looking to bake a whole cake or batch of brownies!
Not only is this chocolate banana mug cake a great dessert option, but it’s chock-full of protein, so it makes for an awesome breakfast and/or post workout snack. I enjoy mine topped with fresh blueberries or chopped strawberries and a dollop of tru whip. It doesn’t get much better than that, folks!
This quick and easy chocolate cake recipe will change your life! A few words to sum up the incredible goodness that is the chocolate banana protein mug cake:
ooey, gooey wonderfully thick
liquidy split quick
instant chocolatey yumminess… nuff said!
Feel free to add sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, blueberries or whatever other fillings you fancy to make it your own!
- 1/4 cup 28-30 grams chocolate protein powder* (If your protein powder is gluten-free, your mug cake will be gluten-free.)
- 1 small extra ripe banana mashed*** (1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce works too)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons liquid egg whites egg whites from 1 large egg
- Spray a (microwavable) mug or small bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in mug and microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for 1 minute, stir around batter again and microwave once more for 30 seconds. If cake still appears wet, microwave for about 15-30 more seconds.
- Enjoy straight from your mug or transfer to a small plate and top with fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, whipped topping**** and/or almond butter.
*This is the serving size (1 scoop) of most brands of protein powder. I used 1/4 cup vegan chocolate Shakeology.
**Nutritional information will vary some, depending on brand of protein powder used.
***I also tried substituting the mashed banana for 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. It worked really well, but was less sweet. If you're not much of a banana fan, the applesauce is a tasty option, but I preferred the banana.
****I love tru whip topping. A great alternative to Cool Whip. You can find it at Walmart and Kroger.
Enjoy two other quite delicious mug cake recipes from this here blog! 🙂
Something to think about….
Have you ever tried a mug cake? What did you think?