Baked Strawberry Bagel French Toast Casserole
Rise and shine to a scrumptious make ahead Baked Strawberry Bagel French Toast Casserole!
This crowd pleasing dish is the perfect way to enjoy yummy bagels and fruit. Of course, bagels are great for on-the-go, but seriously, you NEED this bagel french toast in your life! It is INSANELY delicious – crispy, tender, gooey, satisfying.
Using bagels for baked French toast was such a good idea – it’s so easy with no-flipping or no-stovetop-babysitting! And Lender’s® Bagels are a family favorite, soft and chewy with fresh baked taste!
Nice, fluffy bagels make a French toast that is extra hearty and wonderful – the custard soaks into all those nooks and crannies. They couldn’t be more perfect for a French toast casserole – bagels are naturally dense and chewy, and won’t get all soggy when adding an egg custard. The pieces soak up liquid, but stay tender and flavorful while baking, without any mushiness.
Start by roughly chopping or tearing the Bagels into cubes and along with diced strawberries layer the pieces into a baking dish. Feel free to choose a different berry or use a combination of berries.
Next, pour the creamy egg mixture over the top and, if you desire, let the casserole marinate overnight. You don’t have to let it sit overnight, but a few hours in the fridge will only make the casserole creamier.
When you’re ready to bake it up, finished the dish with an easy glaze, that boosts a lovely buttery cinnamon flavor. Butter mixed with a little sugar and cinnamon adds a gooey, juicy, lusciousness to the baked French toast that takes this dish to the next level. I used Smart Balance® Buttery Spread because it bakes, cooks and spreads just like butter, but has 400mg Omega 3 ALA per serving. It’s also gluten-free and dairy-free.
This baked strawberry bagel French toast casserole is so easy and delicious. A comfort food breakfast that’s guaranteed to be a hit!
Literally the breakfast of my dreams. It’s:
Loaded with cinnamon + berries
Tender in the inside
Crusty on the outside
And it feeds a crowd
I think I died and went to heaven devouring this yumminess!
This casserole is perfect for brunch or on a leisurely weekend, especially when hosting guests. I made it over the weekend and wrapped up the leftovers for breakfast through the week.
If you try this recipe, I want to know! I love hearing your feedback. Leave a comment and tag a photo #kimscravings on Instagram. Enjoy!
Baked Strawberry Bagel French Toast Casserole
Bagel French Toast Base
- 6 bagels,, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced strawberries, (or blueberries or a combination)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk, (I used almond milk.)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or other sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar, or other sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter,, melted
- maple syrup
- fresh berries
- Layer cubed bagel pieces and diced strawberries in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until completely combined. Pour egg mixture over bagel pieces, cover, and refrigerate for about two hours or overnight.
- Before baking, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the cinnamon glaze, stir sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter. Drizzle over the top of bagel pieces just before baking.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, and until the top is golden brown and the egg mixture is cooked through. Cover with aluminum foil at about the 20-minute mark, so top doesn't get too brown.
- Let casserole cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh berries. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
The recipe instructions and recipe note says to use flour in the glaze, but no flour listed in recipe. I see in the notes you say to not use flour. May need to finish updating recipe.
Sorry about that… it should not say flour. I’ve updated the recipe. Thanks for the catch!
how much flour in the glaze?
That was a typo. No flour in the glaze. Fixing that now and enjoy!
Bagels! I’d have never thought to make a brunch dish like this with bagels, but I bet it is amazing! It’s going on my my list for this weekend. So pretty!
This sounds like a great brunch casserole. I love strawberries and I bet using bagel helps the bread texture hold up well. Great idea.
WOW! This looks so delicious and right up my alley. I need to try this recipe out ASAP, my family and I will all love it!
I made this for a brunch between girlfriends and everyone loved it!
Wow, I’m dying over this casserole! It is definitively happening this coming weekend at my house, the best brunch idea ever!
I fell in love with this recipe! It came out so perfect and the flavors were wonderful. What a great idea!