Twice Baked Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Twice Baked Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are loaded with protein and healthy stuff, but still taste amazing to the pickiest of eaters!
My obsession with sweet potatoes continues. We’ve made soup, hash, smoothies, nachos. You name it, and I’m sure I’ve tried it. But stuffed with lots of yummy ingredients is truly my favorite way to enjoy this nutrient-rich veggie.
You can use any favorite ingredients for the stuffing. I’m a total sucker for Mexican and Southwestern flavors, so I went with bell peppers, onion, black beans, lime juice, cilantro, avocado and a new-to-me product from Morning Star Farms – Veggie Meal Starters Veggie Pulled Pork. Wow. Just wow.
You guys are going want to make this again and again. The savory stuffing ingredients paired so well with the sweetness of the potato. And the Veggie Pulled Pork was spot on delicious.
These twice baked southwestern stuffed sweet potatoes are really easy to throw together. Just bake until soft, split open, scoop out the insides, and then mix the sweet potatoes insides with tasty ingredients. Load the sweet potato outsides up with the mixture, sprinkle with cheese and pop them back in the oven to warm through. Bam – you have an easy vegetarian entree to serve the family…or hog all for yourself. Your call. They do make delicious leftovers for lunch the next day.
I think you guys are going to LOVE these potatoes. They’re:
Sweet + savory
Layered with toppings
If you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment and tag a picture #kimscravings on Instagram! We’d love to see your spuds in action. Enjoy, friends!
Twice Baked Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 whole medium-sized sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- ½ red onion, thinly slice
- 10 oz Veggie Meal Starters Veggie Pulled Pork* , or 2 cups Morning Star Farms Meal Starters Grillers Crumbles
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small orange/yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (I used non-dairy), (or cheddar or mozzarella cheese)
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Optional for serving: lime wedges, avocado slices, salsa and/or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Arrange sweet potatoes on a baking tray that has been lined with foil. Pierce with a fork and roast for one hour in the oven, or until soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add in onion and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium to high heat and until soft. Add in preferred Meal Starter, black beans and seasonings; continue cooking until all ingredients are completely coated in the seasonings.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven; allow them to cool for about 5 minutes until they are just warm enough to handle; slice in half. Use a large spoon to remove the inside, leaving about 1/4 inch around the inside of the skin. Transfer inside to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the skins aside.
- Add the Meal Starter mixture and lime juice to the sweet potato in the bowl; stir until completely combined.
- Arrange the skins on the same baking pan, and stuff them with the Meal Starter sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 425°F. for 15 minutes.
- Serve, topped with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, avocado pieces and salsa. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
Wow! What amazing ingredients. I know i would love this recipe.
Wow this looks so yummy and simple to make! I can totally make this! haha
Love your blog and all your great recipes!!! They are so healthy and colorful. Definitely going to make those yummy sweet potatoes over the weekend.
My favorite foods are vegetarian and I cannot wait to try your take on this! Thanks for sharing!
Kim, this looks fabulous! I love Morning Star products and love this vegetarian meal…I know my family would love it too!
Can’t beat the pop of color sweet potatoes bring to dishes! Looks flavor-packed & hearty!
This looks absolutely AMAZING. I love stuffed sweet potatoes, but I’ve never tried a twice-baked version!
Trying to use more sweet potatoes instead of regular ones so I’m looking for new recipes. This looks like something my whole family would love.
I love sweet potatoes. For the last several years, we’ve almost completely switched from potatoes to sweet potatoes.
I wish that I had the patience to make twice baked potatoes. Sometimes I feel that they are time consuming.
We’re a little obsessed with sweet potato too! We prefer it over the regular potato, there’s just so much more flavour. This looks so delicious! And the rest of your sweet potato collection too! Can’t wait to try them.
I also love sweet potatoes and am a sucker for anything Mexican. What is that veggie pulled pork made out of?