Skinny Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Skinny Pumpkin Spice Donuts proving donuts can be healthy and absolutely delicious! At just over 100 calories each, these baked pumpkin donuts are super simple and come loaded with lovely fall flavors.
Donuts are my weakness- the blueberry cake donuts, to be specific. Oh my goodness… melt in my mouth delicious. About 14 years ago, I was in nursing school and working nights at a hospital on the labor and delivery floor. Many (WAY too many) mornings on my drive home from the hospital, I would stop at my favorite donut shop for a couple pigs in the blanket and a blueberry cake donut. It’s no wonder I was 20 pounds heavier, but it sure was a delicious treat after working all night. 🙂
These pumpkin spice donuts are almost just as delicious and they’re a whole hell of a lot healthier. There’s no guilt in popping a couple of these for breakfast or snack. I used whole grain spelt flour from Bob’s Red Mill, only 1/2 cup coconut sugar and just 1 tablespoon coconut oil. They would be a really fun treat to serve at all of the upcoming Halloween festivities, both for adults and kids. Moist and flavorful- these are irresistible fall treat!
I’ve mentioned my trusty donut pan before- remember these Clean Eating Banana Bread Donuts? I still really love it and should totally use it more often. It’s on sale right now for only 10 bucks! It’s so convenient- how great is it to be able to just whip up some warm donuts at the drop of a hat? And especially to be able to customize them according to your own dietary needs? If you don’t have a donut pan, you should get one! 🙂
Skinny Pumpkin Spice Donuts
For the donuts:
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree**, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted***
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk****
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour*****
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
For the optional glaze:
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips, I use Enjoy Life brand.
- 1½ teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with an cooking spray, even if it's a nonstick pan.
- Stir all wet ingredients (sugar, egg, pumpkin, oil, milk and vanilla) in a large mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin spice) and mix mix until completely incorporated.
- Spoon batter evenly into donut pan or transfer batter to a baggie with one corner cut off, to allow for squeezing the batter out of the baggie and into the shape of a donut on the donut pan. You will have enough batter for 12 donuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While donuts are baking, prepare ingredients for glaze. Wait to warm the glaze, though, until after donuts have baked and cooled.
- For the glaze, heat ingredients in a shallow microwavable bowl in 30 second increments. Whisk each time you check the ingredients, until they are completely melted.
- When donuts have cooled for approximately 10 minutes, transfer them to wire cooling rack. Dip each donut into the heated glaze. Decorate with sprinkles if you like and enjoy! Alternatively, dust with powdered sugar.
**Sweet potato or butternut squash puree could be substituted for the pumpkin. Fresh roasted pumpkin (mashed) could also be used.
***Substitute with melted butter or olive oil, if preferred
****Other milk varieties will work. I love using unsweetened vanilla cashew milk too.
*****Whole grain pastry, whole wheat or all-purpose can be substituted. I also tried using Kodiak Flapjack and Waffle Mix for this recipe and it worked perfectly!
Something to think about….
Have you gotten your pumpkin fix yet, this season?
What’s your favorite donut flavor?
Is pumpkin your jam? Enjoy a few other pumpkin breakfast recipes on the blog!
Many links in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase a product after clicking an affiliate link, I receive a small percentage of the sale for referring you, at no extra cost to you. Purchasing through affiliate links is an easy, painless way to help out your favorite bloggers… and help me pay my grocery bill! ???? Thank you so much for your support!