Clean Eating Banana Bread Donuts
These Clean Eating Banana Bread Donuts taste just like a moist piece of scrumptious banana bread. They are everything you want in a donut, but without the junk you don’t.
Guess what my VERY favorite unhealthy food is? That’s right… donuts. I absolutely love those blueberry cake donuts and oh my goodness the cinnamon sugar ones… heavenly. Now, these Banana Bread Donuts aren’t fried… so, of course, they’re not quite the same as donut shop donuts. You will love them anyway, though- I promise!
I’ve had my donut pan for about 2 years and before making these Banana Bread Donuts, I had only made one other batch of donuts. They didn’t turn out very good, so my donut pan went to the back of the cabinet. I finally saw enough creative donut recipes around the web, that I decided to give it another try. I really wish I wouldn’t have waited so long to bring that pan back out.
No surprise, that I chose to experiment with banana donuts first. Bananas are just such a great clean ingredient to bake with. They are naturally sweet and give a lovely moistness to baked goods, making it really easy to cut down on the sugar, butter and/or oil. Since I added a yummy chocolate glaze, I wanted to cut the sugar out completely and just use several packets of stevia. Feel free to use about 1/4 cup of your preferred sugar. If you’re not adding the glaze, you may want to increase the sugar to about 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you want your donuts.
These Clean Eating Banana Bread Donuts are:
loaded with banana flavor
altogether amazingly awesome
Make them! K…okay!
I’d love to know if you make this (or any) recipe! Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Clean Eating Banana Bread Donuts
For the donuts:
- 1 cup flour, (I used spelt flour. Whole grain pastry flour or all-purpose flour would work too.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 packets Stevia or 1/4 cup coconut sugar, (other sugars will also work)
- 1 egg
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, (other milk varieties will work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, (I use Enjoy Life brand.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with an all-natural cooking spray, even if it's a nonstick pan.
- Mix all of the dry donut ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix all of the wet donut ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter evenly into donut pan or transfer batter to a baggie with one corner cut off, to allow for squeezing the batter out of the baggie and into the shape of a donut on the donut pan. You will have enough batter for 7 donuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While donuts are baking, prepare ingredients for glaze. Wait to warm the glaze, though, until after donuts have baked and cooled.
- For the glaze, whisk ingredients in a shallow bowl and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments. Whisk each time you check the ingredients, until they are completely melted.
- When donuts have cooled for approximately 10 minutes, transfer them to wire cooling rack. Dip each donut into the heated glaze. Decorate with sprinkles if you like and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
I’ve only used my donut pan once as well 😆 And I came THIS close to using it a second time this weekend, but then I made donut holes instead. These look lovely, Kim! Bananas really are the perfect ingredient to bake with.
Thanks, girl! Yes, bananas are the best!
Ohhhh Kim you’ve done it again! Donuts are one of my all-time fabs (old-fashioned with that glaze…. drooling) and banana bread is just such a classic. Combine them together in a healthy treat?! You’re a magician haha! Feel free to send me a batch 😉
Cake donuts are so much better than glazed, IMO. I don’t have a donut pan though :(. I wonder if these would work in a muffin pan?
I think these would totally work in a muffin pan!
This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try this!
Look at you putting Krispy Kreme to shame. Your version is healthy and full of deliciousness.
What a clever idea. I bought a donut pan yesterday and I’m eager to try these.