Pumpkin Dessert Squares
These golden brown buttery Pumpkin Dessert Squares are a staple at our house during Thanksgiving. No, it’s not a pumpkin pie. It’s so much better. I promise! You’ve got buttery yellow cake as crust and topping and then the filling is sweet pumpkin-pie-ish deliciousness.
PUMPKIN DESSERT SQUARES ARE THE BEST
Of course, I’m one of those people that enjoys pumpkin things all year round, not just in the fall. Once the leaves start turning, I literally can’t stop dreaming about all things pumpkin! And Pumpkin Dessert Squares are at the top of that list! They satisfy every pumpkin-loving bone in my body, and also every butter and cake craving I’ve ever had in my life. It takes Thanksgiving nostalgia to new heights. Not only are these my favorite Thanksgiving treat, they’re pretty much my favorite dessert ever! And they’re so easy too!
Pumpkin Dessert Squares is one of those recipes that’s been around forever and once you try it, you’ll know why! It’s lusciously delicious and super easy to make. Everyone seems to have a slightly different version, but of all of the ones I’ve made, I love this one (my grandma’s version) best!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN DESSERT SQUARES WITH YELLOW CAKE MIX
Start with all of the ingredients. They are all very normal and I’m guessing you will have most, if not all, of them in your pantry! Grab a yellow cake mix, unsalted butter, eggs, pumpkin pie mix (not pumpkin purée), milk, sugar, and cinnamon.
Now, here’s how these are put together.
- Preheat the oven.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix together the base ingredients and press into the bottom of the dish.
- Mix the pumpkin layer ingredients and pour it over the base.
- Last, you will combine the topping until it’s crumbly. Sprinkle it over the pumpkin layer.
- Bake 45-50 minutes.
Once the squares have cooled for about 20 minutes, you’ll want to refrigerate them. I like to serve them chilled with a topping of Rheddi-wip or Cool Whip.
PUMPKIN DESSERT SQUARES ARE BEST FOR SERVING A CROWD
Baking up Pumpkin Dessert Squares is the easiest way to serve pumpkin pie to a crowd, as it fills a 9 x 13 pan! A scrumptious yellow cake layer as the crust, topped with a rich layer of pumpkin pie, and finally a yummy sprinkling of more yellow cake streusel for the perfect fall dessert! Trust me when you make this, it will be gobbled up so quickly! Everyone loves these pumpkin bars!
If you’re looking to make this pumpkin dessert a little healthier, try this pumpkin pie dessert square version. And for other similar pumpkin desserts around the web – these easy pumpkin pie bars with an oat crust look fabulous and these pumpkin Oreo cream dessert squares are what dreams are made of.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 box yellow cake mix (1 cup reserved)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING
- 3 cups (1 lb. 14 ozs.) Libby's pumpkin pie mix*
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cups milk (I used almond milk.)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup reserved cake mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust; in a medium mixing bowl. Use a large spoon to spread the crust into the bottom of the baking pan or press it evenly with your fingers.
- Combine the ingredients for the filling; in a medium mixing bowl. Pour filling over crust and spread out evenly.
- Combine the ingredients for the topping; in a small mixing bowl and sprinkle evenly over filling.
- Bake dessert at 350ºF for 45 to 50 mins.
- Allow dessert to cool for about 20 minutes and then store in the fridge (at least 3-4 hours) before serving.
- Bars will be tasty at room temperature, but are best served COLD with some type of whipped topping.