Vegan gluten-free Healthy Cranberry Pear Crisp that has all of the warmth, spice and sweet flavor of traditional versions. Also, it’s ridiculously simple to throw together and will make the perfect addition to your holiday dessert spread!
This healthy cranberry pear crisp is about as simple and basic as they come, and though it’s vegan and gluten free it’s just as delicious as any traditional version I’ve tried. Armed with coconut oil, it’s totally dairy free. And thanks to Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal and gluten-free oats, it’s also void of the glutens. Good riddance, food allergies. Good riddance.
I love the rich, nuttiness that comes from using almond meal. Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal is ground from whole, blanched sweet almonds and not only does it have a lovely flavor, it also boosts some pretty great nutritional stats.
Almonds provide a good amount of manganese and vitamin E , as well as a healthy serving of monounsaturated fats in each 1/4 cup serving. Almonds are also packed with protein and very low in carbohydrates.
It’s a cinch to put together: just chop up a couple of pears, mix with cranberries, maple syrup, cornstarch and spice, then top with an irresistible mixture of oats and almond meal.
There’s just enough coconut oil and sugar in there to make sure this crisp tastes like a treat, but it’s pretty light and healthy compared to most holiday desserts. (Don’t worry, pumpkin pie, I still love you.)
The pears and cranberries transform into gooey goodness during a 40-minute bake in the oven, during which time you’re free to do whatever you’d like. If you’re like me, this is probably when you scramble to make yourself look presentable before the holiday party and don’t hear the timer going off while you’re busy blow-drying your hair in the other room. Crisps are so forgiving, though, which makes them perfect for forgetful bakers like me.
Wondering what it tastes like? Warm, sweet pears balanced with slightly tart cranberries, plenty of warm spice from the cinnamon, and the crispy, crumbly oat topping is just the icing on the cake. Top it with some non-dairy whipped topping or ice cream (or dairy, if that’s your thang) and dig in. Fall has never been so darn delicious (or healthy), I’m convinced.
- For the filling:
- 2 pears, cored and diced*
- 2 heaping cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the topping:
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- ½ cup Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal
- ¼ cup coconut, brown sugar or 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar**
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (other oils or butter will work)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Then, pour into pie plate.
- Rinse out bowl and in the same bowl, combine all crisp ingredients. Then, sprinkle the crisp mixture over the top of the filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Allow crisp to cool slightly before spooning out.
- Serve warm and with vanilla ice cream, Greek yogurt, cool whip or coconut cream, if desired.
**I used 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar for my recipe and for the calculation of nutritional information.
Love this Healthy Cranberry Pear Crisp, try some of my other favorite desserts!
Pin it and share with your friends!
Something to think about….
Do you have a favorite quick, easy, crowd-pleasing holiday dessert recipe?
Have you ever tried baking with almond meal? Grab a coupon for 1.00 off any Bob’s Red Mill product and give it a try for yourself. You’ll love it!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.