Potato Leek Soup
This EASY non-dairy Potato Leek Soup is full of protein and made in just 30 minutes. It’s a family favorite soup recipe we make all season long! Potatoes and leeks are cooked and then blended with Bolthouse Farms® Plant Protein Milk to make the creamiest and most flavorful soup ever.
I teamed up with Kroger and Bolthouse to share this easy, delicious meal idea. As always, all opinions are my own.
Soup is my ultimate comfort food. We make some sort of soup weekly during the winter months and I always look forward to the warmth and comfort it provides.
Here in Texas, our winters are short. November through April are our soup months because outside of that it’s usually just too hot. The first time it drops below 80°F, in late October, I’m rushing to get out my stock pot and dancing around my kitchen chanting, “It’s SOUP WEATHER!” at the top of my lungs. Ha!
I make all sorts of soup recipes, from chicken to chowder, but my favorites are silky smooth creamy soups, like Butternut Squash Soup or this creamy Potato Leek Soup. The potato and leek combo is a good one and if you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a real treat!
WHAT IS A LEEK?
Leeks are part of the onion family and they’re so full of flavor. The taste reminds me of a cross between a green onion and garlic. They make a great addition to stir fries, soups, and pasta dishes. Watch this video on YouTube to learn how to cut and clean leeks.
SECRET INGREDIENT TO MAKE POTATO LEEK SOUP SO CREAMY:
Soup really is an easy thing to make at home and it’s so much more delicious than canned soup. Homemade soup can be ready in under 30 minutes and have so much flavor. Plus, when you make it homemade you control the ingredients and flavor. One ingredient that I’m absolutely loving in everything from soup to smoothies is the new Bolthouse Farms® Unsweetened Plant Protein Milk. Not only does it make this soup so creamy, but it’s a non-dairy, plant-based milk that contains 10 grams of pea protein per serving. That’s pretty impressive, especially compared to the 1 gram of protein that almond milk contains. Bolthouse Farms Plant Protein Milk is non-GMO, soy free and has 50% more calcium than dairy milk. Winning! Find Bolthouse Farms Unsweetened Plant Protein Milk at a Kroger or Kroger family store near you!
HOW TO MAKE POTATO LEEK SOUP:
Making Potato Leek Soup is SO easy!
- One thing you need to know about leeks is that they grow in sandy soil. The inside of a leek almost looks like the inside of a tree trunk because of the rings of the onion wrapped around itself. To clean the leeks, simply slice them (discard the rough green tops) and soak them in a bowl of water. The dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl and your leeks will float on top. Easy peasy!
- Add ghee (or vegan butter) and flour (gluten-free flour will work) to a medium soup pot. Stir this mixture until the ghee is melted. This will help thicken the soup and give it a wonderful flavor.
- Now add the chicken stock or broth, leeks, onion, potatoes and bring to a boil. Because we’re blending the soup you can chop the potatoes however you want, but keep the size uniform for even cooking. I like using chicken stock to add even more flavor in this soup.
Once the potatoes are cooked your soup is done. You can now use an immersion blender or regular blender to blend until the soup is creamy and smooth. Stir in the Bolthouse Farms® Plant Protein Milk. Add salt and pepper to taste and then serve the soup topped with chives and fresh cracked black pepper.
My family loves this soup served with a crusty French or sourdough bread!
Looking for other healthy soup recipes? Try these other favorites!
This EASY non-dairy Potato Leek Soup is full of protein and made in just 30 minutes. It’s a family favorite soup recipe we make all season long!
- 4 medium leeks, dark green stems removed
- 1 tablespoon ghee (can sub with butter)
- 1 tablespoon flour (use AP gluten free flour for GF)
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarians)
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup Bolthouse Farms® Unsweetened Plant Protein Milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash leeks very carefully to remove all grit. I usually cut them horizontally and separate the rings to make sure no dirt remains. Coarsely chop them when washed.
- In a medium soup pot, melt ghee (or butter) and add flour on low heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well. This will thicken your soup and give it a wonderful flavor.
Add chicken stock (or broth), leeks, onion, potatoes and bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer on low for about 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend the soup until smooth, adding the Bolthouse Farms® Plant Protein Milk and adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot, topped with fresh ground pepper and diced chives, and with crusty bread on the side.