Healthy Zucchini Turkey Burgers
If you’re looking for a healthy turkey burger recipe, that’s also super juicy and full of flavor, you’ve found it! These Healthy Zucchini Turkey Burgers are low in calories and carbs, but high in protein and deliciousness. They’re always a crowd pleaser, so fire up the grill!
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI TURKEY BURGERS
You can make my homemade turkey burger recipe in minutes. It’s extra fast and easy!
Simply add ground turkey to a medium to large mixing bowl and add grated zucchini. Yes! That’s my “secret ingredient”. It keeps the patties moist, flavorful, and zucchini is a superfood, loaded with nutritional benefits. Adding zucchini also lowers the calories per serving because you get five patties out of 1 pound of ground turkey instead of four. You can’t even taste it!
To the mixing bowl, also add breadcrumbs, chopped onion, garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. That’s it! Now get your hands in there and mix it up well. Shape into five evenly sized patties.
CAN TURKEY BURGERS BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
You can totally make these turkey burger patties ahead of time and get dinner on the table even faster. These patties keep well, covered, overnight in the fridge.
You can also make a big batch and freeze them for days. Then they’re ready to go on busy weeknights or when unexpected company comes calling. Arrange patties on a parchment-covered baking pan, freeze, then place in storage containers or freezer safe baggies.
HOW TO COOK TURKEY BURGERS ON THE STOVE
I personally prefer my turkey burgers grilled, but these actually work really well to cook them on the stove too. Because they’re so lean, they cook up really quick. Brown patties on both sides, with a little olive oil in a hot pan. About 8 to 10 mins total time and dinner’s ready!
HOW TO GRILL TURKEY BURGERS
Love the look of those sizzling hot grill marks? Not only do grilled burgers look more appetizing, but darker grill marks also give more flavor to the meat. No wonder grilling is so popular! Place turkey burger patties on a clean heated grill that has been sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Grill about 4-5 minutes on each side.
TOPPING IDEAS FOR TURKEY BURGERS
I love to offer lots of tasty burger topping options and let everyone build their own burger. Here’s some ideas to get you started:
- Fresh greens like Boston or bibb lettuce
- Thickly sliced large size tomatoes
- Fresh red onion rings
- Dill pickle slices
- Dijon or regular mustard
- Cheese slices
- Ketchup and mayo
- Avocado slices or guacamole
TIPS FOR THE BEST TURKEY BURGERS
- To grate zucchini, use a grater with medium-sized grater holes. Not the really large ones and not the ones that are super small and will make complete mush. This way burgers are perfectly juicy.
- Squeeze just about all the moisture from the zucchini with paper towels or a thin dishtowel.
- Lean or extra lean ground turkey works well for these burgers. I typically use extra lean. You can even use ground chicken.
- Prepare all the toppings and buns before cooking the burgers. To keep calories lower, try using a light English muffin for your bun.
Love these Healthy Zucchini Turkey Burgers? Try my other favorite burger recipes!
Healthy Zucchini Turkey Burgers
- 3/4-1 cup grated and squeezed zucchini
- 1 lb lean or extra lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs, (use gluten-free, if needed)*
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- After grating the zucchini, squeeze the moisture from the zucchini using paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, ground turkey, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties (about 4 ounces each).
- GRILL: Clean grill and spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Cook burgers on medium heat about 4-5 minutes minutes on each side, or until cooked through and no pink remains in the center.
- STOVE: Heat a large nonstick skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray or add about 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook on one side until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook about 4-5 more minutes and until burgers are cooked all the way through and no longer pink in the center.
Slightly adapted from the Skinnytaste Turkey Burgers with Zucchini recipe.