Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza
Hello, Friday, it’s so good to see you! If you ask me, Friday is not quite complete without wine in my glass and pizza in the oven. Friday dinners not only need to be super tasty, but also really convenient and as easy as possible; which is why this copycat recipe of California Pizza Kitchen’s Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza is totally perfect. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the start of a fantastic weekend!
Pizza is my all-time favorite food, of all of the foods in the universe! There are so many different varieties that I love. As a child it had to be pepperoni or pepperoni and sausage, but my tastes have matured a bit since then- and I have to say, it doesn’t get much better than this Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza. From the savory barbecue sauce to the spice of the onion and topped off with sweet pineapple chunks and a dash of cilantro… YUM!
My spelt flour crust is a wonderful healthy pizza crust, but it’s not near as quick as store-bought and on Friday I’m pretty much beat, so unless I’ve pre-made a crust, store-bought it is. Brad and I both really like Mama Mary’s Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, an incredibly tasty thin crust, seen in these pictures.
For the barbecue sauce I used one of my favorite Kraft varieties, the Sweet Honey Barbecue Sauce. Use whatever barbecue sauce you fancy. I used a white onion, but I really wished I would have had a red onion on hand. The original California Pizza Kitchen’s Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza uses red onion and smoked Gouda cheese. Trader Joe’s has a yummy smoked Gouda cheese, but I also didn’t have this on hand, so mozzarella it was. Still super delicious! Ingredient measurements in the recipe are just a guide and what I used for my pizza- feel free to use any amounts that you prefer.
Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 large pizza crust store-bought or homemade, If using store-bought, I like Mama Mary's Whole Wheat Pizza Crust.
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 cup grated smoked Gouda cheese, divided (Mozzarella works well, too.)
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken, I use rotisserie chicken.
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned or fresh pineapple chunks
- fresh cilantro for topping
- Preheat oven according to pizza crust instructions and prepare pizza baking pan/stone, if using.
- Toss 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce with the cooked, chopped chicken to coat it. Set aside.
- Spread 1/3 cup (more or less, depending on preference) barbecue sauce over pizza crust. Add a layer of 1/2 cup of cheese over the barbecue sauce. Next, top with chicken, the reserved cheese, sliced onion and pineapple.
- Bake pizza according to crust instructions. I baked my pizza at 450 degrees F. for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with fresh cilantro, slice and serve.
Something to think about….
Have you ever had Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza from California Pizza Kitchen?
Watcha doin’ this weekend, anything fun? Anyone else have sushi plans? 🙂