Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins
A lightly sweetened scrumptious chocolate muffin, that’s surprisingly healthy, made with good-for-you ingredients!
Are you worried I’m turning into the muffin
man woman? I’m getting a little worried myself…. I just can’t help it. A delicious healthy muffin is one of my favorite things to create, so you’ll just have to bare with me while I bombard you with muffin recipes. I sure hope you love a scrumptious muffin as much as I do!
The perfect way to make an incredible tasting muffin with a lovely moist fluffy texture takes just a few important steps.
- Make a Well- Making a well (see picture of a well here) in your dry ingredients helps dry and wet ingredients incorporate quickly, making it less likely that you will overmix, which results in a tough texture.
- Embrace Lumps- When stirring together wet and dry ingredients just until combined; batter will be thick and lumpy and even have a few small bits of flour…. that’s okay.
- Gently Fold- Use a light touch to incorporate any mix-ins. Work in nuts or fruit with a wooden spoon just until evenly distributed to keep from overmixing.
- Spoon in Batter- Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to fill muffin cups about 3/4ths full. This will ensure rounded tops that won’t spill over the tin.
- Observe for Doneness- Muffins that are ready to take out of the oven, will have golden brown tops, firm edges and a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin should come out clean.
- Let Cool- Allow muffins to cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing. Take them out too quickly and they’ll break apart. Leave them in too long, and they can become soggy.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour spelt flour and whole wheat flour would also work
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup almond milk any milk works
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup 4 oz. unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips I like Enjoy Life brand
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin cups, with a natural cooking spray, in a muffin baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, coffee powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together almond milk, Greek yogurt, eggs and coconut oil; add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened (batter may be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into 12 prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until tops are firm. Cool in cups on wire rake for about 5 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 7.3 g
Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
Protein 4.0 g
Something to think about….
Do you have any tips for making the perfect muffin?
What kind of flour do you typically use for your muffins?
Are you off work today? Doing anything fun for the long weekend?
Please take time, today, to remember the reason for Memorial Day. Thank you to all who have served and continue to serve our country!
A beautiful sight in my home town, this weekend! And I’m linking up with the healthy diva to bring you these marvelous muffins for marvelous in my Monday!