Bacon Creamed Corn
This creamed corn is seriously the best creamy corn recipe you’ll taste! My mom has been making this flavorful dish for as long as I can remember and it’s a major crowd pleaser. Super simple to whip up too! Corn kernels are simmered in a flavorful cream sauce, then topped with crispy bacon for an easy side dish that’s elevated enough for the holidays, yet quick enough for a busy weeknight. Works as a yummy dip too!
Creamed Corn with Bacon
This creamy corn dish is one of those super easy recipes where you pretty much dump a bunch of ingredients into a skillet, cook and then enjoy in less than 30 minutes. That’s my kind of recipe!
I will say, this is not your typical creamed corn that includes scraping out the milky pulp of the corn cob kernels, pureeing a portion of the corn, or using a grater to remove the kernels from the cob. Often cream is added to the corn and that’s what we have here. This recipe totally takes the average creamed corn recipe up a few notches! We’re adding cream cheese, zesty bell pepper and bacon. If that’s wrong, I don’ want to be right!
Creamed corn goes well with just about any main dish and it’s also great for potlucks. It’s warm, creamy and super satisfying with the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Whether you enjoy this for dinner tonight or plan on making it for Thanksgiving, definitely give it a try! You deserve a little comfort food!
Ingredients Needed for Bacon Creamed Corn
With its creamy texture, subtle sweetness, and big flavor, this corn dish is highly requested in my family. Here’s a rundown of the simple ingredient list.
- Bacon. Use your favorite high-quality bacon for amazing flavor!
- Corn. This recipe calls for canned Fiesta Southwest or Mexicorn, but I know these can sometimes be hard to find, so use regular corn if that’s what you have available.
- Veggies. We’re using onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper. My mom makes this with just the onion sometimes, but I really like the extra color that the peppers add.
- Cream cheese. Makes this recipe creamy and brings all the ingredients together.
- Half-and-half. Combined with the cream cheese for EXTRA creaminess.
- Sugar. Just 1 teaspoon for the perfect balance of flavors.
- Salt & pepper. To taste!
How to Make Creamed Corn with Bacon and Cream Cheese
This isn’t your typical creamed corn recipe. It’s way easier and way tastier! This recipe is a breeze to make either the day you’re serving it or even a day ahead of time. No one will ever guess just how quick and easy this is to make!
- Cook bacon.
- Sauté veggies in bacon drippings.
- Stir in cream cheese and half-and-half.
- Add sugar, salt & pepper and top with bacon. Enjoy!
See what a cinch this recipe is to make!
Tips & Variations
- If you don’t have half-and-half on hand, you can use milk instead. However, the final dish may not be quite as thick and creamy.
- For a little heat in this dish, add a dash or two of cayenne pepper and some sliced jalapeños.
- I recommend using full-fat cream cheese for best results.
- This creamy corn side dish is wonderful served with tortilla chips as a dip.
Can I substitute with fresh or frozen corn?
I always use the southwestern canned corn, but you can definitely use frozen or fresh. You may even be able to find a southwestern variety of the frozen corn.
Storing Leftover Creamed Corn
Creamed corn is best served hot off the stove, but leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Reheat at low to medium heat on the stovetop for several minutes, stirring frequently. You can also microwave small servings.
I do not recommend freezing this creamed corn dish because the cream in the recipe may separate, which can affect the taste and texture of the dish.
Can you make creamed corn ahead of time?
You can make this bacon creamed corn up to one day in advance. Keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to reheat it. Reheat on the stovetop over low to medium heat, then add the bacon right before you serve it.
As you plan your holiday menu, this incredibly tasty bacon creamed corn recipe is a must-have on the table! Enjoy for the holidays, but also work this flavorful, easy creamed corn into weekday dinners. This one is guaranteed to be a family favorite!
More Thanksgiving Recipes
If you try this creamed corn recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Bacon Creamed Corn
- 8 bacon slices, chopped
- 3 cans Fiesta Southwest or Mexicorn, drained (if you can't find any of these, regular corn will work)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook chopped bacon in large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Set bacon aside.
- Sauté corn, onion and bell peppers in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add cream cheese and half-&-half, stirring until cream cheese melts. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
- Top with bacon or stir bacon into the dish and enjoy!