Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins
Baked oatmeal in muffin form filled with warm fall spices, wholesome ingredients and all of the lovely flavors of apple pie. These Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins are made healthy, dairy-free, gluten-free and low-calorie, so you can get your apple pie fix first thing in the morning!
If you couldn’t tell, I have a bit of a muffin obsession. I love coming up with different creations almost as much as I love gobbling them up… almost. This apple pie oatmeal muffin recipe is an adaptation from my Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Muffins. You guys love that recipe so much (it’s even one of the most popular posts on the blog) that I decided to change things up slightly and bring you another variation you would enjoy.
There’s no denying the pumpkin pie muffins are scrumptious, but these apple pie muffins definitely give them a run for their money. Chewy baked oatmeal texture and delightful fruity apple cinnamony flavor give these muffins a super comforting feel. They are wonderful served warm, but just as lovely enjoyed straight from the fridge. I’ve been grabbing them up before my workouts and as a sweet treat in the evenings. I really like them cold and they’re even more flavorful after a day or two.
This recipe calls for apple pie spice. You can buy this at most grocery stores, make your own or just use cinnamon. To make apple pie spice, simply combine 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves. I suggest using the apple pie spice because that signature apple pie flavor really shines!
Apple Pie Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, gluten-free as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 small to medium apple, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, honey works too
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, any milk will work
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Other optional add-ins: ¼ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together oats, baking powder, seasonings and salt.
- Add applesauce, grated apple, egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract, milk and cranberries, plus any other add-ins. Stir well to incorporate.
- Allow the mixture to set and thicken for about 3-5 minutes before spooning into your muffin pan.
- Fill muffin cups almost completely full with batter. The muffins will not rise.
- Bake for 30 minutes and until the center of each oatmeal muffin is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you don't allow these to cool before taking them out of the muffin pan, they will fall apart. I used a knife around the sides to make removal easier. After cooling, they will set well. Store in a covered container in the fridge for about a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
**Nutritional Information calculated using 1 egg and only 1/3 cup dried cranberries as the add-in.
Recipe adapted from my Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins
Are you a muffin luva like me? Check these other goodies out!
And another apple muffin favorite….
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite kind of muffin? I think we need a Blueberry Oatmeal Muffin next!