Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Pie
A comforting tortilla pie layered with sweet potatoes, black beans and chicken for a little extra protein. Everyone loves this healthy warm meal and leftovers for lunch are fantastic!
We can call this Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Pie, “everything, but the kitchen sink tortilla pie”. Getting rid of leftovers is what really inspired this super flavorful, easy as pie meal. It’s also a throw-off of one of the most popular recipes on the blog- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole. I threw in rotisserie chicken because it needed to be used, but if you want to keep things vegetarian feel free to leave it out.
This tortilla pie is a relative of the enchilada family, but much easier because it doesn’t involve the stuffing and rolling of tortillas. It’s really quite simple to throw together- you’ll mix your veggies and seasonings and then layer everything in a pie plate. Comfort food at it’s best!
Essentially a Mexican-ish lasagna with tortillas standing in for noodles. One of my favorite kind of dishes, that can miraculously be on the table in a flash and is made from things you most likely have in your pantry and fridge. If you don’t like, or you don’t have, one of the ingredients, skip it. On the other hand, if you have something else that you think might be appealing, like corn, then toss it on in.
Make this tonight and then have leftovers through the week. Take my word for it… it’s a very good plan. Be sure to pair it with Food Should Taste Good Harvest Pumpkin Tortilla Chips, like I did- your tastebuds will thank you!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Tortilla Pie
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes, to soften)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 2-4 to rtillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
- 4 oz. shredded cheese, (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional garnish for serving: thinly sliced green onion, fresh cilantro and avocado
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, sweet potato, black beans, tomato, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt and cinnamon.
- Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
- Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into triangular servings or spoon out. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
- Enjoy! I know you will!
If you love this recipe, you may want to try the very similar Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole. It’s pretty close to the same recipe, but you layer ingredients in a square baking pan and it’s vegan.
And if you’re a huge sweet potato fan, like me, don’t miss one of my favorites- Sweet Potato Black Bean Frittata.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment and be sure to take a picture and tag it #kimscravings on Instagram! I absolutely love to see what you’re whipping up from Kim’s Cravings!
Also, let me know if you have any holiday recipe requests! Thanksgiving and then Christmas will be here before you know it! Eeeek!