Strawberry Simple Syrup
Strawberry Simple Syrup is a sweet and tasty mix-in for all your favorite drinks! Made with fresh strawberries, water and sugar; this easy recipe is bursting with summer deliciousness. It’s the best way to flavor cocktails, lemonade, iced tea, and more! We especially love to use it to make strawberry milk!
Why spend a small fortune on a craft cocktail or fancy coffeehouse beverage when you can make it at home? All you need is the right ingredients, like this Strawberry Simple Syrup!
Just like regular simple syrup, but made with fresh strawberries! You’ll enjoy adding fresh sweet flavor to your favorite drinks all year long. Plus, it’s the perfect addition for mixing up my Strawberry Margarita or, the kids’ favorite, Strawberry Milk!
Thanks to simple syrups like this one, summertime get-togethers get to be filled with drinks that are bursting with the best seasonal flavor!
what is simple syrup?
Simple syrups are an easier way to blend a sweetener into cold drinks instead of using just plain sugar. This liquified form of sugar can be made plain or simmered with fruits to give the sweet syrup a specific flavor.
It can be tempting to just pick up a bottle of pre-made simple syrup at the store, but making homemade simple syrup guarantees that you get the exact flavor you want without all of the unnecessary add-ins that typically come from the store-bought version.
Trust me, this homemade strawberry simple syrup will take your lemonade, cocktail or milk to a delicious level that store-bought just can’t compete with!
Just 3 simple ingredients and you’re well on your way to sweet, flavorful strawberry simple syrup! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Strawberries. You’ll love how this recipe tastes with fresh strawberries! However, you can use frozen strawberries, too.
- Water. This, along with the juice from the strawberries will make for a pourable, easy-to-stir consistency.
- Granulated sugar. It provides sweetness and the base for a syrupy texture.
how to make strawberry simple syrup:
This recipe could not be easier! Here’s the simple process:
- Simmer. Add the strawberries, water and sugar to a medium pot or saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and continue to simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cool. Remove the from heat and allow it to cool some before attempting to strain it.
- Strain. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to separate the syrup from the berries. Discard the extra berries (or serve them over ice cream – YUM!) and bottle up the simple syrup.
simple syrup variations:
Feel free to sub out the strawberries with another favorite fruit, like blueberries, cherries or raspberries. You’ll follow the same recipe method.
ways to use strawberry simple syrup:
Use this recipe to flavor cocktails, iced tea, lemonade, milkshakes, milk, and even cakes (brush it over a sponge cake to make the cake tastier and help keep it moist). You can also stir it into yogurt, frozen yogurt and oatmeal. So good!
can you use frozen strawberries for this simple syrup recipe?
Yes! You can make this strawberry simple syrup even in the winter when fresh strawberries aren’t as sweet and flavorful by using frozen strawberries.
Unless you thaw them first, you may need to increase the cooking time. I recommend thawing them in a large bowl at room temperature. Any excess liquid in the bowl can be added to the pot with the strawberries. Your simple syrup will taste just like it was made with fresh berries!
how much strawberry simple syrup does this recipe yield?
You’ll get just about 1 1/2 cups of simple syrup total. If you need more, you can easily repeat the instructions or double the recipe! I use about 3-4 tablespoons when making most drinks. For example, when making strawberry milk, I stir 3-4 tablespoons into about 8 ounces of milk.
where to buy a fine-mesh sieve?
You can grab them from just about any store! Check Target as well as Amazon for some great options!
does strawberry simple syrup need to be refrigerated?
Yes! Homemade strawberry simple syrup DOES need to be refrigerated to stay fresh. It is not shelf-stable.
How long does strawberry simple syrup last?
Once completely cool, store simple syrup in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep well for about 2 weeks. You can also pour it into a large zip-top baggie and store it in the freezer for up to about 6 months. To thaw, place it in the refrigerator overnight. You can also place the frozen sealed container of simple syrup in a bowl of lukewarm water for about 30 minutes.
more favorite strawberry recipes:
Love strawberries, like me? Give these delicious recipes a try!
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Blackened Salmon with Strawberry Avocado Salsa
- Strawberry Salsa
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
If you try this strawberry simple syrup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if you love it as much as I do, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, washed & quartered (frozen strawberries work too)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Place strawberries, water and sugar in a medium to large pot on the stovetop. Stir to mix and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to low and allow to simmer until the sugar has dissolved and berries are tender – about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then, let the mixture cool some. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a glass or heat-proof container, making sure to squeeze any excess juice from the strawberries. Discard the extra berries (or serve them over ice cream – YUM!).
- Let cool completely and then store in the fridge for up to about 2 weeks.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!