Spicy Black Bean Hummus
This Spicy Black Bean Hummus is a super easy and healthy dip that pairs perfectly with crackers, chips and/or fresh veggies.
Have you noticed how many different varieties of hummus there are at the grocery store? I’m personally a fan of roasted red pepper hummus and roasted garlic hummus. However, making your own homemade hummus is super easy and takes no time at all. Homemade hummus, also tastes fresher than store bought and you can really get creative with unique flavor combinations. With this Spicy Black Bean Hummus recipe; I changed things up from using the typical hummus bean, chickpeas (or also called garbanzo beans), and used black beans.
Black beans are very high in fiber, folate, protein and antioxidants; along with numerous other vitamins and minerals. Black beans make a complete protein when paired with brown rice; which is often why they are so commonly included in a vegetarian diet. Black beans have the same amount of protein as chickpeas, but offer more fiber, iron, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B1.
When my urge to snack gets the best of me; I love having a healthy hummus, like this Spicy Black Bean Hummus in the fridge ready to eat with raw veggies. It’s also so good with two of my favorites; Mary’s Gone Crackers and Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips. Last night, Brad and I had chicken tacos for dinner and the Spicy Black Bean Hummus was perfect spread on our tortilla before adding the chicken and other toppings… delish!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 small jalapenos for less spice remove seeds and/or use less jalapenos
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt and a few dashes of pepper
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process for a couple of minutes and until hummus is smooth.
- Transfer hummus to a serving bowl and serve with chips, crackers, toast and/or raw veggies.
- Store, covered, for up to one week in the fridge.
Something to think about….
Are you a hummus fan?
Have you ever made homemade hummus?
What’s your favorite kind of hummus?
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!