Southwestern Tuna Cakes with Chipotle Sauce
Premium, high-quality canned tuna from Wild Selections® lends fresh-from-the
The traditional tuna cake definitely got a makeover! Made with my favorite Southwestern ingredients and the delicious taste of Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore Tuna, these tuna cakes are a great new twist on the classic tuna cake recipe!
You’ll start off with a host of yummy southwestern ingredients, like lime juice, southwest seasonings, tortilla chips, corn, black beans, chipotle pepper, roasted red pepper and cilantro. Don’t forget the tuna- I always have Wild Selections® tuna on-hand because it’s made with simple, all-natural ingredients and is Non-GMO Project verified.
After mixing all ingredients, you’ll form patties and cook. These cook up really quick too, so dinner can be on your table in less than 30 minutes.
I’m not only impressed with these southwestern tuna cakes, but I’m also super impressed with the Wild Selections® brand. Wild Selections® gives back to the oceans by donating 13 cents from every can sold—a total of $1 million by 2018—to World Wildlife Fund marine conservation and fishery improvement projects. How awesome is that!?!?!
They are the only full line of Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified sustainable seafood. The blue MSC eco-label tells you the fish in your can comes from well managed fisheries and healthy fish stocks.
Wild Selections® is also sustainably sourced fish and is 100% traceable; visit WildSelections.com to learn where the fish in your can was caught.
This recipe is figure-friendly too! One tuna cake is only 170 calories, but packs over 15 grams protein. Plus, tuna is super heart healthy. Tuna fish has very high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to reduce omega-6 fatty acids and cholesterol in the arteries and blood vessels.
I can’t wait for you guys to give these Southwestern Tuna Cakes a taste! They’re:
And have the perfect kick of spice!
My favorite way to serve tuna cakes is over a bed of greens and, of course, don’t forget the Chipotle Awesome Sauce! Also, you can prepare the tuna cakes ahead of time and refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for up to two months. They can be cooked up straight from their frozen state – just put them in the heated pan and they’ll cook right up in 10-12 minutes.
Southwestern Tuna Cakes with Chipotle Sauce
For the tuna cakes:
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, juice from one small lime
- ½ cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, canned and minced
- ¼ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup corn, I used frozen
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, from a jar and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 cans Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, 5 oz each
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking
For the chipotle sauce:
- 1 small chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, canned*
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons water**
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- juice from lemon
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast***
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons bragg liquid aminos****
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- For the tuna cakes:
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and lime juice. Stir in the crushed tortilla chips, seasonings, adobo sauce, chipotle pepper, black beans, corn, red pepper, cilantro and tuna. Form the mixture into six patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- For the chipotle sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a high-powdered blender. Blend on high for about one to two minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator for about 1-2 weeks.
**Add more water 1-2 tablespoons at a time, if needed to get things moving in the blender.
***Nutritional yeast can be found in the healthy foods aisle of your grocery store. It is not the same thing as baking yeast. It gives the chipotle awesome sauce a slight cheesy flavor.
-Adapted from Melissa's Bitchin' Sauce.
****Feel free to substitute with Tamari or Soy Sauce. Even Worchestire Sauce would probably be a good substitute.
Nutritional information only includes tuna cakes. See the full post on Chipotle Awesome Saucefor nutritional information for sauce.
Love these Southwestern Tuna Cakes? Try other favorite tuna recipes from Kim’s Cravings!
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite tuna recipe? Have you tried Wild Selections® tuna?
Find Wild Selections® tuna at a store near you using the Wild Selections® store locator.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.