Healthy Italian Sausage Egg Bake
This Healthy Italian Sausage Egg Bake is an egg-cellent make-ahead breakfast or brunch meal that’s made lighter. And it’s the perfect dish for any gathering… I can’t help it, but I’m already thinking Christmas morning! 🙂
Even if you’re not ready to start thinking Christmas meals; this egg bake is also perfect as a make-ahead dinner for busy weeknights. I’ve made it several times on a Sunday and had an easy dinner with no mess on Monday evening. Simply store it, covered, in the fridge overnight and then Monday after work, just pop it in the oven. Easy and delish!
This healthy egg bake recipe makes A LOT, so it’s fabulous for gatherings. It’s also a great meal to make on Sunday for leftovers throughout the week. I made it on Sunday and I’ve eaten it for lunch with a veggie on the side and Brad has eaten it for snack, all week. And we still have some left! A couple of years ago, I made it for my work Christmas brunch party and it was a huge hit!
Healthy Italian Sausage Egg Bake
- 12 oz lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach or kale, thawed and drained well, 9-10 oz
- 4 cups shredded hash brown potatoes, (can use frozen or refrigerated or make your own (thaw if using frozen)
- 12 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk, any milk will work
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- If baking right away, heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with a natural cooking spray.
- In a medium to large skillet, cook sausage over medium to high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up, until no longer pink; drain sausage and return to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in spinach or kale.
- In baking dish, mix cooked sausage mixture and shredded potatoes.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, basil, salt and pepper until blended. Pour eggs over mixture in baking dish. Cover with foil; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight but no longer than 24 hours.
- If you wish to bake right way or whenever you're ready to bake; bake at 350 degrees F., covered for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until center is set. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
Something to think about….
Are you thinking of your Christmas food yet? I know I’m not the only one!
If so, what’s one thing you’re definitely making for Christmas or another holiday that you celebrate?
What’s your favorite make-ahead meal?
Love breakfast bakes! I made one last weekend with bacon, zucchini and sweet potatoes. So good!
That sounds delicious with sweet potatoes! I was actually thinking a sweet potato version of this one might be worth a try.
Yay! I am so excited about this one, Kim! I can’t wait to make it with vegan sausage 🙂
Hope you get a chance to give it a try and enjoy it as much as I did! Have a great weekend!
Thinking about christmas food makes me sad as I am spending my first christmas away from home and my family, I have barely started thinking about thanksgiving….or halloween haha! This is exactly the kind of breakfast I hope to make more of though, more protein, which is good for repairing muscles from my training!
Having to be away from family around the holidays is the worst. Sorry about that. This breakfast really is great running fuel!