Veggie Packed Turkey Bolognese
A lighter version of the Italian classic, this veggie packed turkey bolognese has all of the rich, meaty flavors you crave served over a bed of yummy pasta.
Doesn’t this pasta dish make you smile? It’s one of those uncomplicated meals that reminds me of home and is just so darn satisfying. If you’re with me and a delicious bowl of pasta is your favorite comfort food, I have a treat for you!
I’m a Texas girl through and through and that’s why using the #1 pasta in Texas is a must. There’s no comparing Skinner Pasta. It’s super tasty, cooks up perfectly and makes the most wonderful meal for serving friends and family. Seriously, everyone loves Skinner!
Also, I so appreciate that it’s budget-friendly and has earned the Non-GMO Project Verification on its most popular pasta products.
Your fork is waiting, so let’s do this Veggie Packed Turkey Bolognese!!
The magic starts with sautéed carrots, onion, celery and bell pepper to give the sauce a robust and subtly sweet base. Then we cook up lean ground turkey or chicken. This will give your sauce that hearty texture.
Combine the cooked veggies and meat with your favorite pasta sauce and let it all simmer together for just about 7 minutes and until it’s begging to be tossed with perfectly al dente Skinner pasta noodles. While the sauce is getting all nice and flavorful, you can be cooking up the pasta. I told you this meal was uncomplicated!
All of the ingredients, together, make for the perfect balance of savory and sweet, while parmesan and parsley add a touch of freshness and really complete the dish.
You’re going to be head-over-heels for this easy bolognese recipe. It comes bursting with flavor and pairs perfectly with Skinner pasta! It tastes awesome reheated and can be frozen for meal prep. Great for lunch or dinner!
If you give this dish a try, be sure to comment and let us know how you liked it. Also, be sure to snap a photo and tag #kimscravings on Instagram, so we can all see your version. Enjoy!
Veggie Packed Turkey Bolognese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled, diced
- 1 small red onion, peeled, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 2.5 teaspoons oregano flakes
- salt and pepper
- 24 oz tomato basil sauce
- 16 oz dry pasta
- grated parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or stock pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is simmering, add in the carrots, onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften and then add in half of the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Transfer cooked veggies to a bowl and then add the ground turkey to the heated skillet (you may need to add a bit more oil or cooking spray), crumbling with a wooden spoon.
- Season the meat with oregano, salt, pepper, and the rest of the garlic. Cook the meat until browned and then combine the veggies with the meat.
- Pour the sauce over the meat and veggie mixture and stir until combined. Let cook for 5-7 minutes to let veggies and meat soak up the sauce and the flavors to develop. Reduce heat to low, cover, and keep hot while you continue with the recipe.
- While meat and veggies are cooking, cook pasta according to package instructions. Divide the pasta onto plates or in shallow bowls, top with the turkey bolognese and garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley, if using.
If you’re loving this Veggie Packed Turkey Bolognese, you’ll want to try these….