Sweet Potato Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
Healthy breakfast burritos stuffed with sweet potatoes, black beans, egg whites, and avocado. You’re going to love this easy protein-packed breakfast!
Now you guys really don’t have an excuse to skip breakfast. I mean it. Put down the instant oatmeal. Because the BEST breakfast burrito is coming your way.
Breakfast is my favorite meal and we eat these burritos a lot. I love these for lunch and dinner too. And they’ve got a great balance of carbs, protein and healthy fats, so not only do they fuel your day, but they’re perfect for keeping the kiddos focused at school.
For the protein source, we used AllWhites® 100% liquid egg whites. It’s super convenient, fat-free, cholesterol-free and low-calorie. AllWhites 100% liquid egg whites are my favorite quick and easy lean protein source. Not only do they work well in these breakfast burritos, but I also add them to my protein pancakes and waffles to increase the protein without adding lots of calories. In fact, AllWhites have half the calories of traditional whole eggs and contain no cholesterol or fat. Each serving contains 5 grams of protein, 0 grams of fat and only 25 calories.
These burritos are so simple, making it a great opportunity to get the kids in the kitchen to help out. Madelyn’s old enough that she can help me measure out ingredients and do some dicing and slicing. If your children are younger, they’ll love mixing ingredients and adding the toppings to the burritos.
Cooking with your kids is not only fun and educational – it’s also a great way to encourage them to expand their culinary horizons since kids are more likely to eat what they help make. I’m always looking for ways to get in that quality time with my kids and inviting them into the kitchen is perfect for this. There’s a lot to learn and share – from baking basics to family recipes. So start making memories and breakfast burritos together right now.
When I meal prep over the weekend, these breakfast burritos are always on the menu – you can freeze these as needed. Just be sure to use room temperature ingredients to avoid any sogginess. They can be frozen a month ahead in individual servings, wrapped in aluminum foil – dated and stacked in a Ziploc bag.
When you’re ready to eat one of these (from a frozen state), pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high, then flip it and repeat. If you’d rather reheat it in the oven, you’re looking at a good 20-30 minutes in the oven. Not so ideal when you’re in a hurry, but definitely an option.
Let’s cook up some Sweet Potato Black Bean Breakfast Burritos!
This recipe is simple, taking less than 30 minutes from start to finish. And the ingredients are things you likely have on hand right now!
While the sweet potato cooks up, scramble up some extra fluffy AllWhites 100% liquid egg whites and prepare the black beans with seasonings. Avocado and salsa add a bit of Mexican flair to the burritos that I just love.
All that’s left to do is wrap! Pile on the toppings and roll away. If you’ve ever watched the burrito artists at Chipotle do this, you know it’s possible but not easy. You really have to roll and tuck to get everything inside. But trust me – the end result is worth it. Check out the best way to roll a burrito in this post.
I hope you all LOVE these burritos! They’re:
& So delicious
These would make a delicious on-the-go breakfast for kids in the morning or for weekend adventuring like hiking or picnics.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment and don’t forget to tag a photo #kimscravings on Instagram. Enjoy, friends!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
- 6 low carb or low calorie tortillas or wraps
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups AllWhites® 100% liquid egg whites
- 1 avocado, diced, sliced or mashed
- 1/3 cup of your favorite salsa
- Cook sweet potatoes: Pierce sweet potatoes with fork a few times. Place in microwave and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until cooked though. This may take up to 10 minutes depending on how thick your sweet potatoes are. Alternatively you can roast them in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Once sweet potatoes are cooked, remove the skins and place potatoes in a medium bowl. Mash with a fork; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large bowl, add black beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add in egg whites and cook. Fold every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- To assemble burritos, make sure you have warm tortillas; it makes them easier to roll. You can warm them up for 10-20 seconds in the microwave before assembling. Lay out warm tortillas and evenly distribute and spread mashed sweet potato on each. Evenly distribute egg whites, diced avocado, black beans, and a drizzle of about 2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa in each tortilla. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Tuck ends in, then roll up burritos. To warm up: Place on baking sheet in oven at 300 degrees for 5-10 minutes or simply microwave them for a minute or two. Serve with sour cream, greek yogurt, additional salsa, or hot sauce.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
Oh doesn’t this look yummy! I love a good sweet potato but never thought of making breakfast burritos with them. How lucky am I that I have a few sweet potatoes I need to use. WIll be making these burritos.
your article came in the perfect time! i’ve been seeking for a different healthy breakfast as i’m getting bored with my usual omelette and this is a good variety! i love burritos and having it for breakfast is even better! http://www.crayonized.com
that’s a hearty looking breakfast. I only use egg whites when I make my breakfast and have been curious about just buying it in a container. You’ve convinced me to give it a try.
Oh my goodness, these sound and look delicious. Never thought about black beans for breakfast!
I love the recipe! But I am so curious about the AllWhites® 100% liquid egg whites, I wonder if I can use it in baking too.
I love cooking with my kids and they love breakfast burritos and this recipe seems absolutely amazing!
This is soo good and the images to go with this post are simply drool worthy. Got me craving sweet potatoes actually now. 🙂 5 stars
Mmm…these beautiful and unique breakfast burritos look so scrumptious! I would love to make a few of these in advance and have them ready to go on busy mornings. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe!
Yummers! I love black beans and sweet potatoes. I totally have to try this recipe with my family!
This recipe looks so delicious and easy to make. AllWhites 100% liquid egg whites would be a great way to make a healthy breakfast in a hurry.
OMF! I just had dinner but could eat all over again! they look so good and tasty! and healthy!! I love sweet potatoes and burritos!