This Healthy Chicken Cobb Salad has all of the goodness you remember from the classic cobb salad, but is made healthier with organic, all-natural, lighter ingredients. I’ve also swapped out the typical dressing and kicked the flavor up a notch by using a creamy avocado dressing.
Remember when I said that the Copycat Panera Bread Fuji Apple Chicken Salad was my favorite? I was being totally honest. I’ve been enjoying that salad on repeat for months. Well, after whipping up this Healthy Chicken Cobb Salad with Avocado Dressing over the weekend, the Fuji Apple Chicken Salad has some stiff competition. There’s a new favorite salad in the house!
Robert H. Cobb was a very smart guy. The restaurant owner combined iceberg, romaine, watercress, bacon, blue cheese, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, chicken and avocado to create a flavor explosion and dressed the deliciousness with a red wine vinaigrette, to come up with the colorful classic.
Nothing against the great Mr. Cobb, but I’m pretty sure this version might just be a step up from the original. Don’t take my word for it, give it a try for yourself. It actually comes together pretty quick. Sizzle the bacon while you’re prepping the veggies and dressing. Also, to make the prep work super easy, buy already boiled eggs and cooked chicken. Both Trader Joe’s and Costco, sell wonderful organic, all-natural, grilled chicken breast. Rotisserie chicken would also be a great quick option.
Don’t get bogged down with the ingredient measurements, the listed recipe is simply a guide. Salads are so versatile, feel free to add more or less of what you prefer and/or have on-hand.
This Healthy Chicken Cobb Salad is a real crowd pleaser- I know you’re going to love it! It’s:
And incredibly tasty… definitely not your old boring salad!
When you give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment and tag a picture @kimscravings on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- For the salad:
- 3 slices nitrate-free turkey bacon (best brands are Applegate or Trader Joe's)
- 8 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce*
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, chilled and quartered
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast or shredded rotisserie chicken
- ⅓ cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 large garden fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- For the avocado dressing:
- ½ cup diced peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water + more as needed for desired consistency
- Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan to cool and once cooled, dice.
- While bacon is cooking; prepare dressing by combining all 7 dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
- Arrange 2 cups romaine on each of 4 plates. Divide bacon, eggs, chicken, avocado, tomatoes and cheese evenly among plates. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons dressing over each salad. Alternatively, you can toss all ingredients in a large salad bowl and then evenly divide into 4 servings and drizzle about 3 tablespoons dressing over each salad.
**Avocado dressing from Cooking Light.
If you’re looking for other Cobb Salad varieties, you’ll enjoy these other recipes from some of my favorite bloggers.
Mexican Grilled Cobb Salad from Half Baked Harvest
Cobb Dip from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Springtime Cobb Salad from How Sweet It Is
Harvest Cobb Salad from Damn Delicious
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite salad recipe?
Have you ever tried making a cobb salad?
Shop this post!
Kim’s Cravings is now on Snapchat!
Want to see what’s going on behind the scenes around here? Add me on Snapchat – my username is kimscravings, or just snap a pic of my snapcode below. Send me a snap anytime – I’d love to hear from you!