Fresh Peach Cake
Savor sweet, juicy peaches with this healthier peach skillet cake that tastes like summer.
My son, Landen, is one of those kids that’s always asking for something. I have to give him credit, though, he’s very specific in his requests and he usually desires something that’s practical. Take this peach cake, for example… the last few weeks he has been craving a “real” peach cobbler. He also did not want his peach cobbler to be “healthy” Oh, he knows me too well. 😉
I think of a cobbler as having a crisp, pastry-like crust. Well, we don’t have the typical cobbler, folks. But what we do have is a no-fuss, tender, sweet cake with the delightful flavor of fresh peaches.
I have some good news and some bad news, Landen. Bad news first… um… sorry Landen; this cake is pretty darn healthy. It uses part whole wheat pastry flour, has minimal added sugar and you’ve got fresh fruit. The good news is this Fresh Peach Skillet Cake turned out beautifully, tastes tangy-sweet with a lovely ultra moist texture and Landen gobbled this peach cake right up. Yes!
Fresh Peach Cake
For the Cake:
- 1/4 cup butter, coconut oil or ghee would probably work too
- 1 cup flour, I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
For the Peach Filling:
- 5 medium peaches, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put 1/4 cup butter in cast iron skillet and place skillet in the oven as it is preheating.
- Meanwhile; in mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in almond milk and egg. Set aside.
- Check skillet and once butter is melted remove from oven and set aside. Before adding batter to skillet, be sure to thoroughly spray the sides of the skillet with cooking spray.
- In a separate mixing bowl; toss peach slices with honey, lemon juice, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Spoon batter (flour and egg mixture) over butter in skillet. DO NOT stir.
- Spoon peaches evenly and gently over batter. DO NOT stir. Pour any juices remaining, from peaches, over the top of the cake.
- Batter will rise. Place skillet in oven at 350 degrees F. for 35-40 minutes and until the top of the cake is lightly browned.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
On the lookout for additional ways to use my favorite summer fruit, check out other peach recipes on the blog: Peach Blueberry Crisp (horrible pictures, but delicious flavor) and Summer Quinoa Salad.
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite fruity dessert… pie, crisp, cobbler, cake, ice cream or other?
What’s your favorite summer fruit?
I think those were two of the hardest questions I’ve ever asked. Who can pick a favorite summer fruit or favorite fruity dessert? 😉
Hope your week is simply mauvelous, dahling!
Peach cake looks excellent and irresistible with a scoop of ice cream!
The number of times my bf asks me to make something that isn’t healthy might challenge Landen! I can’t blame him though because this looks absolutely superb! Sometimes you just gotta whip out the butter!
it looks delicious!
I LOVE Peach cake or cobbler! It brings back so many wonderful childhood memories 🙂
Kim this looks amazing! Just looking at it and screams summer treat!
Oh my goodness! I’ve been craving a real peach cobbler for EVER too! This cake definitely caught my attention, even if it’s not a cobbler 🙂
Peach cobbler a la mode is my absolute favorite dessert ever. I can’t choose between all those fruits though! Peaches and mangoes are up there though.
This cake must be made sometime this summer though. It looks fantastic!
You’re questions ARE impossible. How do you expect me to choose between peaches, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, and mangoes?! Impossible 😛 When it comes to dessert, though… I’m gonna have to go with ice cream on that one. Or better yet, ice cream on top of fresh fruity cake 😉
I love love love peaches! Cant wait to try this!
Oh man, I am SUCH a sucker for a peach cobbler, love this healthy take on it! Peaches are the BEST.
Favorite summer fruit, oh man, that’s tough. I really love strawberries!
YUM! This looks wonderful, what a perfect summer dessert! I can’t wait to have some peach pie! I had apple as my winnings from my race this weekend, but peach….well that just takes it to a wholllleee ‘nother level! As for favorite fruity dessert? Crumble for me….more topping 😛