Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes
Thick, fluffy, full of flavor Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes– made with coconut flour, for my gluten-free friends.
These Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes are slightly thicker than your average pancake, thanks to the coconut flour. They fluff up beautifully when they hit the skillet. I’ve eaten these twice, now, and the first time I didn’t top them with a thing. The sweetness from the chocolate chips and cherries was perfect for me. The second time I had them, I added just a small drizzle of maple syrup. Both ways were scrumptious, for sure… it really just depends on how sweet you want your pancakes. Because of the chocolate chips, I didn’t add any additional sweeteners- you simply don’t need them.
Just a reminder- coconut flour to other flours is not a one to one ratio. Coconut flour is SUPER absorbent. Most coconut flour recipes will require a large amount of eggs or other liquid to a small amount of flour. If you want to learn more about baking with coconut flour, read this very informative post from Nourished Kitchen.
Okay… back to these delicious Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes. I’m totally obsessed with cherries right now… cannot get enough. I’ve eaten them in salads, yogurt, oatmeal… well folks, these pancakes were the BEST way yet. OMG- so good! If you love cherries as much as I do, I would really recommend purchasing a cherry pitter. It will make your life so much easier. I have this cherry pitter (affiliate link) and it works perfectly.
- 4 organic cage-free eggs
- 1 cup milk I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour It will NOT work to sub in other flours for the coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 cup chopped cherries pitted ( I used close to 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips optional but highly recommended (I use Enjoy Life brand; which are vegan and allergy free)
- Heat coconut oil or a natural cooking spray in a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Whisk together; eggs, milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Batter will be lumpy.
- Gently fold in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup pancake batter for each pancake onto the heated skillet or griddle. I was able to make about 3 small-medium pancakes at a time.
- Allow pancakes to cook for about 5 minutes and until all air bubbles have popped. Flip and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Continue this process until all of the batter is used. You may need to grease skillet each time.
- Makes 9 pancakes and serves about 3 adults.
Something to think about….
Have you ever made pancakes with cherries, chocolate chips or using coconut flour?
Have you ever used coconut flour before?
Is there a fruit that you’re obsessed with, this summer? For me, it’s cherries, watermelon and peaches… just to name a few!