Learn how to make candied pecans! This recipe for candied pecans is so easy to whip up and they’re even easier to eat! They work great as a holiday snack, for gift giving or as a topping for salads, pancakes, yogurt and so much more!
Candied pecans in the microwave!
Just a heads up, this recipe for candied pecans is VERY addicting! Once you get started, you just can’t seem to stop. Not only are candied pecans irresistible, they are so very easy to prepare!
This candied pecan recipe is pecan halves coated in a sweet cinnamon-spiced glaze, then microwaved in intervals of four. Once they cool, you’ll have delicious, crispy, crunchy perfection.
I used to always make these on the stove, which meant a high likelihood that I would burn them, if not constantly stirring. When I gave the microwave method a try, my mind was blown! Foolproof!
The coating for the glazed pecans is a simple mix of ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter. The butter is what makes the coating turn slightly crispy and holds the sugar and cinnamon to the nuts.
- Brown sugar. I prefer to use brown sugar because it caramelizes so wonderfully to the nuts.
- Cinnamon. A must to give these candied pecans amazing taste.
- Nutmeg. My secret ingredient! Adds such great flavor!
- Salt. The perfect balance to the sweetness.
- Water. Used to get the consistency of the glaze right.
- Pecan halves. Obviously! Be sure to use whole pecans, not pecan pieces or chopped pecans.
How to make candied pecans
This recipe is dangerously simple! I promise, you’ll want to make it on repeat!
- Make sure you’re using a microwave safe bowl and melt the butter.
- Stir the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and water into the melted butter. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Add the pecans to the mix and microwave for another minute. Now, stir and repeat the process of stirring and microwaving three more times.
- Spread the pecans evenly in a single layer on some parchment paper. Cool for at least an hour. Enjoy!
- This recipe will work with any nut, but works best with pecans because of all the nooks and crannies they have. But it would be fun to use pecans with a mix of other nuts!
- It’s normal for the pecans to be a little soft after being microwaved. Once they cool completely they will firm up and be nice and crunchy.
- Highly recommend making a double batch because every time I make them, half of them mysteriously disappear!
Ways to use glazed pecans
Not only are candied pecans incredibly delicious and super easy to make, but there are tons of different ways to enjoy them!
- Trail mix. Combine candied pecans with dried fruit, other nuts and semisweet chocolate chips for a tasty trail mix.
- Topping. Candied pecans can be added to a variety of different dishes to really elevate the flavor! Try them added to cereal, oatmeal, salads, ice cream, pancakes, Brussels sprouts, and more!
- Charcuterie board addition. These pecans add a special touch to your meat and cheese tray and they’re always the first thing to go.
- Cookies. Chop them up and add them to your favorite cookie recipe. How delicious would these be in my chewy chocolate chip cookies?!
- Gift-giving. Give candied pecans as a gift! Package them in cellophane bags or in a mason jar decorated with a pretty ribbon.
- On their own. Or just grab a handful of these pecans by themselves for a quick satisfying snack!
Candied pecan recipe variations
- Spicy. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to add a kick of heat!
- Extra salt. Sprinkle a little sea salt or kosher salt over the candied pecans to make them salty-sweet.
- Different spices. This recipe calls for cinnamon and nutmeg, but you could try adding cardamom, ginger, all spice or pumpkin pie spice.
- Citrus. Add about 1 teaspoon orange zest for a lovely citrus flavor.
Nuts should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep well for at least three weeks. I do not recommend storing glazed pecans in the refrigerator because the moisture from the fridge could affect their crunchy coating.
Once you pop, you just can’t stop. Everyone who tries these homemade candied pecans loves them! They are super addictive, dangerously simple and are great for parties and gifts!
More delicious treats to enjoy
If you try these delicious candied pecan recipe, let me know! Leave a comment and if your family loves it as much as mine does, be sure to give it a five star ⭐️ rating! Also, tag @kimscravings on Instagram with a picture of your creation. It’s so fun to see what you’re cooking! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy delicious recipes straight to your inbox.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups pecan halves
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in 20 to 30 second increments in the microwave.
- To the butter, add the brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and water. Stir well. Microwave for one minute.
- Add the pecans, mix well, and microwave for one minute. Stir and repeat the process of stirring and microwaving three more times.
- Spread pecans evenly in a single layer on some parchment paper.
- Let cool for at least an hour, then enjoy!