Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Whether you call it Texas Caviar or Cowboy Caviar, zesty and colorful with a kick of spice, this Black-Eyed Pea Salad is sure to become a favorite. Every time I whip up this salad, my family just can’t seem to get enough!
The perfect crowd-pleasing recipe to throw together on a whim. A few minutes of veggie chopping and can opening, stir it all together and dig in. So versatile, too! This black-eyed pea salad is super yummy with chips as a dip, makes a delicious topping for eggs, salad or tacos and even works well as a fresh tasty side salad.
Black-eyed peas by themselves are pretty boring and bland, but combined with the host of other ingredients in this salad they really come alive. A dressing of your favorite salsa and some diced jalapeno really jazz them up! Your taste buds will be dancing!
This recipe makes a huge amount, which is perfect because it’s quite addicting. You’ll want to add it to everything! It will stay good for about a week, covered in the fridge, but I seriously doubt it will last you that long. 🙂 I’m simply smitten with this salad. It’s:
so healthy and wonderful!
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained, 14 oz
- 1 can white hominy, drained (corn can be used instead), 15 oz
- 1 green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos, seeded or not (I used 1 seeded jalapeno)
- 1 cup salsa, use your favorite
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste as needed
- Drain, chop, mince, seed all ingredients and then combine everything in a large bowl. Serve with your favorite crackers or chips or as a topping or side salad.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or several hours before serving. (I have to admit, though, this stuff is pretty great right after all ingredients are combined. And who can wait that long!)
Looking for other black-eyed pea recipes? You’ve got to try my Black-Eyed Pea Hummus!
Have you enjoyed your black-eyed peas yet? Hope you’re off to a fabulous 2016!