The best healthy pumpkin muffins EVER!

This past weekend, I had quite a few recipes that I planned on creating or recreating and I was so excited when they all came out winners. I just love when this happens!

This is my new all time favorite healthy muffin recipe. The taste is brilliant and the texture is so close to those not-so-healthy muffins. These muffins are made from a flour called whole spelt flour. Ever tried it? I used Bob’s Red Mill brand. If your interested in buying and you SHOULD be, Swanson Health Products offers a terrific price and cheaper than what I can find at the grocery store.

Pumpkin Muffins made with spelt flour and sweetened with honey | Hungry Healthy Girl

So, what’s so great about spelt flour?

• Okay, for 1, these muffins are awesome and they are made with spelt flour. 😉
  • The calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates of whole spelt flour is similar to whole wheat flour, but whole spelt flour is significantly higher in B vitamins, especially niacin and riboflavin.
  • The combination of nutrients in spelt seems to enhance the immune system and to aid in the clotting of blood.
  • Spelt also appears to be helpful for those who suffer from migraine headaches, atherosclerosis and diabetes. The fiber and niacin in spelt can improve cardiovascular health and decrease the risk of heart disease, and the combination of magnesium and fiber in spelt flour may lower the likelihood of developing type 2 diabetes.

These muffins aren’t only healthy because of the spelt flour, but also due to the pumpkin. If you don’t remember what’s so great about pumpkin, refer back to this post from my Paleo pumpkin muffin recipe.

Pumpkin Muffins made with spelt flour and sweetened with honey
Serves: 12 muffins

The best healthy muffins EVER!
Ingredients
  • 1½ cup whole grain spelt flour (whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour will also work)
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice (or use cinnamon)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ cup 100% pure raw honey
  • ⅓ cup melted coconut oil (butter works too) (applesauce may work, but I haven't tried it and it will probably change the texture of the muffin)
  • 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (organic, if possible)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Combine all wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
  4. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Don't overmix.
  5. Scoop large spoonfuls of batter into muffin pan and evenly distribute. Bake for 20-25 minutes and until tops are golden brown. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days or refrigerate for a week or freeze for longer.
Notes
recipe edited on 12/29/13

I adapted this recipe, slightly, from Lisa’s over at http://www.100daysofrealfood.com. On 12/29/13, I edited the recipe and photos. Changes made to the recipe are based on experimentation and reader comments. I have changed the 1/4 teaspoon baking powder to 1 teaspoon baking powder. The 1 teaspoon baking soda is changed to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. I also used only 1/4 teaspoon salt rather than 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/3 cup honey rather than 1/2 cup honey.

What’s your favorite type of muffin?

I love blueberry muffins, but pumpkin muffins definitely come in at a very close 2nd!

Have a terrific Tuesday!!

*Nutritional information on spelt obtained from Livestrong.com.

Signature

Comments

• Kim says

Thanks so much for letting me know! I’m so glad you liked them. Now I need to check out those sweet potato and chicken enchiladas. 😉

1. Gary Grinwis says

This is the best pumpkin receipe I have used in a long time. Tender and moist. The trouble is that it only make 12 muffins.
    I have a double batch in the oven right now. I used oat bran flour this time as I ran out of spelt. I also added coconut and dried cranberries to this batch. Thanks for a great fall recipe.

2. says

I just made these muffins and they were amazing! I didn’t have spelt flour, so I used whole wheat and instead of all pumpkin pie spice I used some cinnamon and nutmeg with pumpkin pie spice and added some raisins to it. They were fantastic and the best muffins I’ve made yet! I love your site and am hoping to experiment more with baking so that I can add a few more recipes of my own! Thanks again!
    Meredith Flynn recently posted…Best Pumpkin Muffins Ever!My Profile

3. Nikki says

I made these for my pumpkin loving boyfriend tonight. I make him a batch of muffins every week, sorta makes me feel like I’m doing a little something to be with him all week since I only see him on the weekend. I’ve been trying to make him healthier stuff to get him off of his trucker diet of gas station pizza and whatever he can microwave. These muffins are delicious! I don’t know if half of them will end up with him though. I may have to be a bad girlfriend and eat a few!

• Kim says

Thanks so much for the comment and I’m so glad that ya’ll loved them! It’s been awhile since I’ve made them…might need to do some baking this weekend!

4. Michelle says

I just made these muffins. They are delicious . I needed 24 so I doubled the recipe .
    I’m taking a few to work with me. My daughter tasted one and loved it so much she had to have another.
    Thank you.

5. Dot says

I am right now making my second batch this week! And I doubled this one! My family loved them! I did use the applesauce for the oil, also added 1 heaping Tablespoon of ground flax and added some dark choc chips. This is a great healthy muffin. I also did use the spelt flour and am glad to know about the health benefits.

• Kim says

I’m so glad that you love them as much as I do!! I calculated the calories with oil and spelt flour at 173 calories per muffin. It would be a little lower, since you’re using applesauce, but add 10-20 calories for the chocolate chips. 😉

6. says

I made these today but substituted the honey for maple syrup and they came out fantastic! Thank you for the recipe!!! Made a double batch and I’m sure they will be gone soon!

7. Linda Burton says

I am all about the fiber content. Can you tell me how much fiber this comes out to be? I also want to make them for a group of ladies to share so I want to make them in the mini muffin pans, how long to cook them? I can’t wait to try and share these, sure hope I don’t ruin the recipe.

• Kim says

I haven’t ever calculated the fiber, but you can calculate nutritional info on some different websites; like spark.com and fitnesspal.com. I would decrease the cooking time by about 5-10 minutes and check them. I hope they turn out delicious!

8. Lindsey says

Do you think flax seed and chia seed added would change the recipe and not come out right?
    What about coconut palm sugar as a sweetener?

• Kim says

Hi Lindsey-
      I’m not sure if adding flax or chia would change the texture of the muffins. It probably depends on how much you’re planning on adding in. I think coconut sugar would work well as a sweetener, though. Good luck!

9. Mindy says

I’m so looking forward to trying your recipe this weekend! How do I know when the wet and dry ingredients are over-mixed and what would happen to the end result? If I bake it all in a loaf/square pan, how long more should I increase the baking time by? Thank you :)

• Kim says

Mindy- just mix ingredients until they are combined. There is no need to continuously stir. When everything is pretty much wet, you’re good. Over-stirring can result in tough muffins. If you bake in a loaf pan, I would increase baking time to about 50-60 minutes.

10. Stephania Messina says

I just made these, and they were seriously incredible! The only modifications I made were I didn’t melt the coconut oil (laziness) and I didn’t add eggs, not on purpose but because I didn’t remember them – I made them half-awake at 7 this morning! However, they still rose beautifully, had a perfect crumb, and the perfect flavor. My kids are in love! I also used fresh pumpkin puree from small sweet sugar pumpkins, which I think definitely helped. Thanks SO much for sharing this great recipe!

• Kim says

Thank you so much for your comment, Stephania! I’m so glad that they turned out wonderfully for you and good to know that the eggs aren’t necessary. :) I so need to start making my own puree from sweet sugar pumpkins- sounds fabulous!

11. Amy says

We are trying you muffins this morning as we love pumpkin and spelt in our house. Two questions: the muffin batter was very thick, is that ok? Second, can you substitute other oils like olive in this recipe?
    Thanks!

12. Katie says

I made these last night, sooo good and moist! to keep them low sugar/low carb I opted for Almond Meal instead of spelt, and 1/3c water with stevia instead of honey. I will be making these again for sure!!

13. says

These are seriously perfect pumpkin muffins. They are not too sweet but sweet enough and the texture is soft and just right. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

14. Tessa D. says

Can I use coconut flower instead of spelt? I already have coconut in my pantry and like the flavor it gives. Thanks.

• Kim says

It may come out with a different texture, but I think it would work and they would definitely be edible. I don’t have a whole lot of experience using oat flour for muffins, so I hate to tell you it will work and then you be disappointed. I would love to hear how they turn out, though, if you get a chance to give it a try. :)

• Kiyah says

I tried it tonight and they came out great! I made my oat flour using steak cut Quaker oats in my Ninja food processor. Didn’t want to take a chance on them coming out too dense, so I used one cup of the oat flour mixed with half a cup of whole wheat flour. I also added 1tsp of vanilla extract. They rose well (which is not easy to do with pumpkin pastries), and they were fluffy and moist. My kids loved them! These will be perfect for breakfast in the morning.

Trackbacks

1. […] The best healthy pumpkin muffins EVER! – Hungry Healthy Girl – I just made these muffins and they were amazing! I didn’t have spelt flour, so I used whole wheat and instead of all pumpkin pie spice I used some cinnamon and nutmeg with pumpkin pie spice and added some raisins to it. […]