Slow Cooker Carnitas with Mango Avocado Salsa
Slow Cooker Carnitas with Mango Avocado Salsa- a simple, tasty recipe for making tender, juicy, perfectly cooked carnitas in your slow cooker!
I was so pleasantly surprised how wonderful my Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic cooked up in the slow cooker. In my opinion, slow cooker meals can be hit or miss, with lots of misses. Well, folks, these simple, flavorful carnitas are anything but a miss!
Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic is naturally tender and juicy without added steroids, hormones or artificial ingredients. And it sure makes for the most delicious carnitas!
What goes best with a well seasoned, savory meat? Something a little on the sweet side… am I right? This Mango Avocado Salsa pairs absolutely perfectly with these carnitas.
Not only did my WHOLE family thoroughly enjoy this dinner, the recipe could not be easier. Simply throw a few ingredients into the slow cooker and let it do its thing. While all that goodness is cooking up, prepare the mango avocado salsa with a little chopping and tossing.
Do yourself a favor, when you’re out grocery shopping this weekend, pick up Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic and the other simple ingredients and get this dinner on the table. If your family’s anything like mine, they’ll be requesting this meal on the regular. These slow cooker carnitas with mango avocado salsa are legit! They’re:
Big in savory flavor
Slightly sweet from the fruit salsa
& So super easy!
Even the novice can make these carnitas. All that’s left to do is sit back and watch your family marvel at what they’re eating. This meal works fabulously as both a busy weeknight meal or even for lazy weekends, when you just want to stay in front of the couch vegging out. I also love making the carnita meat to use in other recipes, like salads, soups and more.
Slow Cooker Carnitas with Mango Avocado Salsa
For the carnitas:
- 4-5 pounds Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic, excess fat trimmed, cut into smaller chunks (about 1-3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
For the salsa:
- 1 mango, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 large avocado, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste, start with 1/4 teaspoon
- Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the pork and sear on each side until browned (about 1-2 minutes per side). Transfer pork to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, and give the mixture a stir to combine. Cook on low for about 6 hours or on high for about 4 hours and until the pork is completely tender and shreds easily with a fork.
- Once the pork is cooked, preheat your broiler to high heat and prepare a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Use two forks to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, and then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared baking sheet, spreading the pork in an even layer and leaving the juices behind in the slow cooker. (Don't discard the juices, you'll use them later)
- Place baking sheet under the broiler for about 5 minutes, and until the edges of the pork begin browning and crisping up. Remove the sheet from the oven, then spoon about 1/4 cup of the juices from the slow cooker evenly over the pork, and toss with tongs. Broil for an additional 5 minutes, then remove and spoon an additional 1/4 cup of broth over the pork.
- Serve immediately in tacos, burritos, salads, or soup! The pork is good for up to about 4 days refrigerated in a sealed container, or frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
- I make the mango avocado salsa while my pork is cooking. Simply stir together all ingredients.
**Measurements for the salsa ingredients don't have to be exact. I gave exact measurements to help you out if you buy prechopped.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @kimscravings on Instagram and be sure to subscribe to our mailing list to receive more healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox!
How many servings? Thanks.
It fed 6 adults at my house.
I love that these were made in the slow cooker and I also am a huge fan of mango in salsa! Yummers.
Thanks, Christine! Yes, the mango salsa definitely jazzes the tacos up!
I’m always looking for slow cooker recipes. Your recipe looks so fresh and colorful. Shoulder in the slow cooker is so tender and juicy.
Thanks so much and yes, it did come out so wonderfully juicy!
I have a pork shoulder in the fridge right now! I should make this!
Yes, you should!!
These carnitas look so tasty!
Thanks, Jillian! Hope you get a chance to give them a try!
What vibrant and beautiful tacos! Love this recipe.
Thank you! They’ve become a new family favorite. My husband and son are still talking about them!
I grew up eating pork carnitas in Mexico, and these look pretty great!
Thanks, Charbel! They may not be completely authentic, but they were definitely delicious!
We were just talking about going out for tacos this weekend…and then I see this post! And now we’ll be making tacos this weekend! I love carnitas, and I love slow cookers…so these tacos are definitely right up my alley. That salsa sounds incredible, too! #client
Thanks so much, David! Hopefully, you get a chance to give them a try!
Yum these look mouthwatering. I’ve been wanting to make some carnitas and now I know I have to!!
Yes, you definitely NEED to!
Gorgeous, GORGEOUS pictures Kim! These look delicious, particularly the mango avocado salsa! LOVE!
Thanks so much, Tina! Yes, the salsa adds a little sweet to the savory, which I LOVE!
I love using my slow cooker this time of the year and your carnitas recipe sounds amazing!! I love all the bright flavors that would be just perfect on one of my game day spreads.
Thanks, Rebecca! Hope you get a chance to give it a try!
I absolutely LOVE all the bright colors in this dish! Thank you for the coupon also!
Thanks, Erin! Hope you get a chance to make use of the coupon!
Love the mango salsa on these! Great dinner idea!
Thanks so much! The mango salsa definitely takes this recipe to the next level!
I am always looking for new slow cooker recipes. This one looks awesome!
Thanks, Melanie! Hope you get a chance to give it a try!