Date Night Seared Scallops With Bacon Zucchini Noodles
The absolute most perfect date night meal – Seared Scallops with Bacon Zucchini Noodles. It’s a little bit of fancy with a huge amount of flavor and so super easy to cook up. You and your sweetheart will go ga-ga over this healthy, cozy meal!
Who doesn’t love being able to create a melt-in-your-mouth meal that requires only 5 main ingredients and about 20 total minutes from prep to plate? Those meals are just the best!!
Believe it or not, this was my first time cooking up sea scallops. I’ve enjoyed them out many times. In fact, they’re one of my favorite things to order when I’m dining in a fancier seafood restaurant. Even when purchasing frozen scallops, they are a little pricier than other seafood options. I also have heard that they can go from raw to overcooked in a matter of minutes. I was a little intimidated to say the least.
Wow… I was really missing out! I should have bit the bullet and cooked these up years ago.
This whole meal works so perfect as a date night dinner or when you’re cooking to impress. It has such a gorgeous presentation and not only is it quick and easy, so you don’t have to spend all evening in the kitchen, but it’s so irresistibly delicious.
And what is date night without Gloria Ferrer? Gloria Ferrer is my favorite and both the new Rosé and Blanc de Blanc pair fabulously with these seared scallops. It’s no surprise I love it so much – Gloria Ferrer wines have earned over 500 gold medals and 50 90+ scores in the last 5 years.
Gloria Ferrer was the first sparkling wine house in Sonoma Carneros, and it was also the first to bring back clones from France to plant their vineyard. Thirty years later, with 335 acres under vine, the estate vineyards at Gloria Ferrer is known as experts in the production of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, and produce estate grown still and sparkling wines that rival some of the world’s finest.
Seriously, can you think of anything better to serve with such a delectable meal?!
I cannot wait for you guys to grab up some sea scallops and get to cooking! You’re going to be head-over-heels for this meal. It’s:
Easy to make
And soooooo stunning on the plate and in your mouth. Ha!
This is the ultimate recipe to cook up when you’re aiming to impress! As an added plus, it accommodates many diets – it’s paleo, Whole30 compliant, gluten and dairy-free. So eat up! And when you give this a try, be sure to tag a photo with #kimscravings on Instagram, so we can all see your beautiful plate. Cheers!!
Perfect date night meal - Seared Scallops with Bacon Zucchini Noodles. A little bit of fancy with a huge amount of flavor!
- 6 slices bacon (Whole30 compliant, as needed)
- 1 pound jumbo sea scallops (I bought frozen from Trader Joe's and they were delish!)
- 4 zucchinis made into noodles (about 1 zucchini per person)*
- 1 large lemon , juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley , chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large, heavy skillet (cast iron will be best for searing scallops) over medium heat, add bacon and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until cooked to your preference. Remove bacon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Crumble after cool.
Leave bacon fat in the skillet and remove skillet from heat (for about 2-3 mins.) to cool slightly.
- RIGHT before cooking, season scallops with salt & pepper. Do it any sooner, and the salt will draw out their moisture, making them wet again, and thus preventing that caramelization.
Gently, add scallops one at a time to heated skillet. Add about 1 tablespoon butter or ghee to pan, if needed. My pan had enough bacon fat and I did not have to do this. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan - you may have to work in batches.
Scallops cook quickly and if they're overcooked, they will become rubbery. Once they are deeply golden brown, with a caramelized exterior, and after a few minutes (2-3), flip them only once when they’re nicely browned. Once browned on both sides, remove them to a plate.
- Add zucchini noodles to the same skillet and season with salt & pepper. Let zucchini noodles cook for about 1 minute, flipping and stirring frequently. As zucchini noodles cook, add in the lemon juice and zest. Also, toss in tomatoes and crumbled bacon; continue to cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Divide zucchini noodles onto four plates, top with scallops and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
*The amount of zucchini noodles does not have to be exact. I used two whole packages of Veggie Noodle Co. pre-noodled zucchini to feed 4.
Check out other date night meals!
Something to think about….
What’s your favorite thing to cook up for date night?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.