Raw Vegan "Cheese" Cake with cashew cream
I think I’m more excited to share this Raw Vegan “Cheese” Cake with you than I have been about any other recipe. I just love cashews, I tell ya. They are so versatile, creamy and lovely tasting. My husband was freaking out when I told him that the “cream cheese” in this “cheese” cake was basically just soaked cashews. In fact, he said, you have to post this VERY soon and tell everyone to make this ASAP. Don’t say to yourself I think I may make this Raw Vegan “Cheese” Cake….. really, just make it.
If you’ve never tried cashew cream, you really need to. Vegan or not, it is beyond delicious.
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 6 Medjool dates pitted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 cups cashews soaked and drained (Soak in water for at least 4 hours or overnight.)
- 1/2-3/4 cups lemon juice
- 3/4 cups pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit for garnish
- Evenly sprinkle coconut on the bottom of an 8 or 9" pie dish.
- In a food processor, blend walnuts, dates and salt until crumbly. Press the crust into an 8-9 inch pie dish.
- Blend (in a high-powered blender) all the "cheese" ingredients until smooth & creamy. Pour the cashew cream evenly over crust and place in freezer for at least 2-3 hours.
- Take cheesecake out of the freezer about 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh fruit and serve.
- Cheesecake can be left out on the counter for a couple of days or store in the fridge for up to a week.
*prep and total time includes cashew soaking time and freezer time.
With this Raw Vegan “Cheese” Cake you can totally use the typical graham cracker crust with an all natural spread, like Earth Balance, to keep things vegan. But really, why would you want to give up the wonderful flavor, not to mention all of the nutritional benefits from using walnuts? I’ve been using nut-based crusts for awhile now. I even use one in this Paleo-friendly Spinach Bacon Quiche; which I really need to make again soon. I’ve been craving quiche like crazy!
Something to think about….
Are you a cheesecake fan? Oh boy, I am!
Have you ever used cashews to make a cream?
What topping do love on your cheesecake? I think I would have to go with cherries, but these blueberries sure hit the spot!
Hope your week is off to a great start!